PR: LSI Unveils SandForce SF-3700 Controller, Boasts 1,800MB/s Performance
New Generation of Market-Leading LSI SandForce SSD Controllers Drive Flash to Higher Levels of Performance, Reliability and Endurance
Multiple industry-firsts include over 1,800MB/s client performance and dual PCIe and SATA interface support; optimizations for client, enterprise and hyperscale environments
LSI Corporation today unveiled the third generation of its market-leading SandForce flash controller line, the industry’s most widely deployed flash management technology for driving PCIe and SATA solid state drive (SSD) and flash card solutions. Designed to support power-sensitive client computing applications as well as I/O-intensive enterprise and hyperscale environments, the new LSI SandForce SF3700 flash controller family provides the increased levels of flash performance, reliability and endurance needed to meet the exacting needs of SSD manufacturers.
The SF3700 family is the industry’s first flash controller that provides the flexibility to support both native PCIe Gen2 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s host interfaces in a single ASIC design. This unique capability greatly simplifies SSD designs and helps to significantly reduce development and manufacturing costs for SSD makers.
With new PCIe interface support, the SF3700 controller family can achieve breakthrough client performance of over 1,800MB/s sequential reads, a 3x improvement compared to the prior generation SATA based solutions.
“From our everyday lives to the hyperscale datacenter, flash storage solutions are transforming the speed and efficiency of data storage,” said Huibert Verhoeven, vice president and general manager, Flash Components Division, LSI. “The SF3700 family brings a new architecture, designed from the ground up to deliver unmatched flash performance and the longevity required to drive current and future portable client computing, enterprise and big data applications.”
“Intel is focused on providing unique offerings optimized for our customers’ specific needs,” said Rob Crooke, Intel corporate vice president and general manager for the Intel Non-Volatile Memory Solutions Group. “Intel expects accelerated and broader industry adoption of PCIe clients, including those with the new LSI SF3700 PCIe controller family, helping to ensure our customers have the right solution for every application.”
Unique and industry-first LSI SandForce SF3700 features and benefits:
- Native PCIe and SATA Interfaces: M.2 form factor cards designed with the SF3700 flash controller’s industry-only dual PCIe and SATA interface can use a simple manufacturing jumper to select the final desired interface for better inventory and cost management. The SF3700 family’s PCIe interface supports both AHCI and NVMe protocols to enable both legacy applications of PCIe flash and efficient NVMe flash storage application acceleration solutions.
- DuraWrite™ Data Reduction: The SF3700 family exclusive data reduction technology combines several techniques to extend NAND flash memory life as flash geometries continue to shrink and inherently become less reliable. Enhanced DuraWrite data reduction technology further helps to maximize SSD endurance by lowering write amplification and the number of program erase (P/E) cycles.
- SHIELD™ Error Correction: This technology extends flash memory life and significantly improves data integrity by implementing a flash-optimized low-density parity-check (LDPC) code that combines hard-decision, soft-decision and digital signal processing (DSP) together with unique adaptive error correction code rates. This enables SSD manufacturers to deliver enterprise-class product life and data integrity, even when using less expensive flash memory.
- Enhanced RAISE™ Technology: Redundant Array of Independent Silicon Elements (RAISE) technology, which is similar to RAID, delivers new levels of data protection specifically designed for SSDs by protecting against page, block and full die failures, in a single drive environment. The SF3700 family’s unique ninth channel for an extra die enables more RAISE protection options and user capacities. It achieves this without the write parity overhead inherent in RAID solutions.
- Dual AES-256 Encryption: Data security is an important component in today’s digital age and the SF3700 family enterprise controllers feature unique automatic dual AES-256 hardware encryption to secure data without incurring additional host processor load. Optional support for TCG Opal and Enterprise specifications ensure broad interoperability and ease of data security management.
SF3700 family controllers provide up to 2TB maximum capacity and a 9-channel ONFI-3/Toggle-2 flash interface. Their modular and flexible architecture enables fast migration to new host interfaces and media types, allowing for significant firmware reuse between new products, as well as continuous innovation throughout the life of the product. The result is an accelerated time to market, increased customer-specific customizations and an extended product life for SSD manufacturers and system OEMs.
The AIS demo will showcase the SF3700 family’s breakthrough client performance of 1,800MB/s sequential reads using Toshiba A19 flash. LSI will also display initial reference designs, which support flash memory vendors Micron, SanDisk and Toshiba. In addition, SandForce flash controller customers ADATA, Avant and Kingston will showcase SF3700-based PCIe and SATA SSD products.
SF3700 flash controllers are currently sampling to select SSD OEM customers. Volume customer shipments are expected in the first half of 2014.
For more information on LSI SandForce flash controllers, be sure to check out the LSI Sandforce website here.