Sign in to follow this  

My Mammy's Computer

I built this for my mother some time ago, and I thought some of you might want an idea of how much low-performance PCs cost, and just how low their performance can get. My mother, as you might imagine, doesn't play games, but LOVES to watch HD video on her 42" 1080p TV. Her Blu-Ray player is one of the first generation and a computer boots up about twice as fast as it. A computer can also do much more than a DVD player. In some cases, a computer can also be cheaper than Blu-Ray players. Here's what I made: -Motherboard--Asus GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ -Case--Antec One -Processor--AMD Athlon II X3 450 -CPU Fan--Cooler Master Hyper TX3 -Hard Drive--Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB -Memory--Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz -Graphics Card--ASUS GeForce GT 440 1GB DDR3 -Power--Antec VP-450 450 Watt Energy Star Certified -Drive--LG Electronics UH12LS29 Blu-Ray burner The result is a cheap computer that will defeat any video and even demanding games on low settings. I always include a$60+ GPU in my builds, as you never know when you might want to start gaming, and a good video card can let you play immediately. A note: X3 processors from AMD are sometimes just X4s with one core turned off. The fourth core can be turned back on in the BIOS of most mobos. Other X3s are just X4s with defective 4th cores and instead of throwing them out, they become X3s. OEM Windows was just fine for this computer. I got a CPU fan because I want this running cool and lasting a while. My mother also probably can't even tell if the computer is overheating, and the processor would be the first to burn.