Sign in to follow this  
sam.chen

Any Video Ideas?

I followed

video link from youtube to here and since you have all the different type of mechanical keys could you better explain the different type of mechanical keys with each distinctive mechanical key press feel. If you showed a side on view of the key being pushed and explain where the key hits the bump, then initialises the key press. the best i have found so far is HERE that shows this but is only a gif image and basically you have to guess/ imagain what its like. i did see some force profile graphs with the information but it dosnt really show where the key is positioned at each point on the graph druring the key press so some guess work has to be done again. From what i can tell Blacks are the same profile as reds but they have a stronger spring in them so they require more force to press. Reds are just a smooth press with a softer feel Blue i dont get wtf that sliding bit does or where the press initiates Browns have a bump mid way on the press (i hope this is where it initiates the key press so you dont have to bottom out) this maybe why sc2 pros like them? Whites have a bigger bump that brows but basically the same shape (i heard these are not common so could be ignored) If you could clarify how each work/ feel better i think that would make a good video and remove some of the confusion with mechanical keyboards. As far as mx cherry red being gaming switches i dont dissagree they sound good for gaming with the smoothness and all, but from what i have read all the sc2 pros will nearly all point you to getting mx browns.

From what i can tell Blacks are the same profile as reds but they have a stronger spring in them so they require more force to press. Reds are just a smooth press with a softer feel Blue i dont get wtf that sliding bit does or where the press initiates Browns have a bump mid way on the press (i hope this is where it initiates the key press so you dont have to bottom out) this maybe why sc2 pros like them? Whites have a bigger bump that brows but basically the same shape (i heard these are not common so could be ignored)
With blacks and reds, you're pretty spot on. They both have a smooth and soft feel, but they have a different actuation force. The blacks are a bit heavier and after prolonged typing you do feel it; however, sometimes you do get misfires on the reds because they're so light. You might accidentally touch the key and it registers so keep that in mind. The main benefit of going with reds and blacks is that you only need to press the keys down halfway before they register. It's nice for key spamming if you're into that while you're gaming. MMO players like it especially since they spam keys while waiting for cool downs and stuff. From that site you posted, you can see how the linear (red/black) switch activates the key in much less distance than brown, white and blue. With brown you get that bump midway which gives you that tactile feedback. It's good because if you use the keyboard enough, your fingers will develop a "feel" for the keyboard and you will know exactly when a key is pressed. The spring is also light, similar to the red's spring, but the travel distance is deeper (as you can see on that image). Blue is very similar to brown in pretty much every aspect except it has that "sliding bit". The sliding bit makes the keys go click. This gives you auditory feedback so you know exactly when keys are pressed. You also still get that bump which gives you tactile feedback as well. As far as gaming is concerned, I think it'll depend on your game. With something like SC2, you really won't benefit from MX Reds. There's really no keyspamming involved. It's more of a hit a key, click the mouse kind of thing. Or I guess if you're going for the APM world record, hit as many different keys as possible. biggrin.png Hope that helps.

A Corsair 550D video. A RAID tutorial. Klipsch Image S5i review
+1 to the RAID tutorial' date=' although I don't plan to do it in the near future, I'm interested to see how its done anyway[/quote'] Raid tutorial on its way thanks to Seagate. biggrin.png

Can you do a video about "Everything you need to know about SSDs" for your SSD learners? :) I just read your RevoDrive review and I didn't know what your were talking about. Can you explain what's... queue depth or just queue? IOPS and what the number of IOPS mean? Sequential / Random Reads & Writes? 4K Random Reads and Writes? What the benchmark shows and what the real world scenario would be?- and what you should be looking for on an SSD What are the different types of controllers? Sandforce, Marvel, Indilinx, and custom? Compressible and Incompressible data? What the heck is QD32? or I think it was QD=32, not sure Thanks

Can you do a video about "Everything you need to know about SSDs" for your SSD learners? :) I just read your RevoDrive review and I didn't know what your were talking about. Can you explain what's... queue depth or just queue? IOPS and what the number of IOPS mean? Sequential / Random Reads & Writes? 4K Random Reads and Writes? What the benchmark shows and what the real world scenario would be?- and what you should be looking for on an SSD What are the different types of controllers? Sandforce, Marvel, Indilinx, and custom? Compressible and Incompressible data? What the heck is QD32? or I think it was QD=32, not sure Thanks
IOPS = as far as i'm aware it means Input Output per second, kinda like the throughput of a GPU ith like terraflops or stuff like that, incompressible data = movies music etc, stuff that needs to be uncompressed to work, compressible is small files like windows files real world benchmarks are kinda ard to show unless you have some games or Aplications in mind to test the boot tome in them, 4k R/W = how well it copes when sending the files all over the drive, (if its random 4k) to see how it does when spreading the love around, with quite small files, random reads= how well it works if the folder isn't indexed or you don't go there much and you open a file from a search, like it's not expecting it. the controller is up to you, some love the sandforce, (actually a lot) marvell works well too, but sandforce is king right now, custom just means the company developed their own to use on the drive to avoid paying for the firmware (i would assime it's ot free) as for the rest, i'm not sure, but i hope this helped this is what i have gathered, but all might not be correct (esspecially with my weird way of wording things) - Santa

Can you show us what to do when booting into a new machine for the first time? ...setting up RAM ...setting up AHCI ...and others that I'm probably missing- which is why you should make this video for your first time builders :)

I've never build a full system, i always learn by taking everythig apart then panicking when things go wrong then when i work out why i'm like F$^& yeah! give it a shot, see how everything works, unless you have a laptop, in that case stay away lol.

Can you show us what to do when booting into a new machine for the first time? ...setting up RAM ...setting up AHCI ...and others that I'm probably missing- which is why you should make this video for your first time builders :)
Oh yeah, good idea. BIOSes are different for every mobo manufacturer though so I'm not sure if it'll be applicable unless people use that mobo manufacturer.

Maybe do a quick demonstration (setting up the BIOS can't take that long right?) of: ASUS / Gigabyte / MSI / ASRock and I think those are the main ones.
Yeah, won't take long but it's been hard getting boards. Z77 is just coming out and since samples are limited, they're all being sent out to the big review sites.