Sign in to follow this  
Xyriin

Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Review

Well after the Logitech G600 didn't work out I moved on to the Cyborg M.M.O. 7 after a suggestion from my G600 review thread. First off the build quality of the mouse. I absolutely love the metal bottom and frame on the mouse. Gives a very solid feel without any flexing. All the adjustable components are also rock solid as well. The buttons differ from the Naga and G600 in that they abandon the thumbpad layout and instead opt for a more spread out configuration with a four-way button in the middle. This four-way button has taken the place of the Logitech tilt-wheel as my favorite direction movement mechanic. Not only do I get an easy way to strafe right and left, I also get a quick access forward and back movement as well. The other 5 buttons around the four-way button take a bit of practice to get used to. Similar to the Naga though where the back six buttons aren't easily used the same is true for two of the five buttons on the M.M.O. 7. If rating these button areas I'd have to give the edge to the Cyborg mouse for movement with the four-way and the edge to the Naga for more useable ability buttons. On the button end however the biggest flaw with the M.M.O. 7 is actually in the normal right and left buttons. There are additional 'lock' buttons at the base of the right and left buttons that act as a toggle for the right and left buttons. They way this works is you 'lock' the left button in and when you click the left button once it's like you're holding it down. Click the left button again and it disengages this 'hold'. Then to go back to normal operation you just click the lock button again. I'm sure it would be useful for some people but these lock buttons are HUGE! They can easily be accidentally activated which of course can seriously affect your gaming control. Fortunately Cyborg has a software switch updater of sorts you can use to disable/enable these lock buttons (more on that below). The last item is the wheel on the top left of the mouse. I couldn't find a good use for this wheel other than right/left scrolling in a Windows folder. On to the software. Overall the software isn't as cleanly laid out as offerings by Logitech or Razer. The actual process of changing the button assignments is too involved. First you have to click the button label, then you click a small arrow to get a menu popup for the action you want, then you click the action you want, and finally you can set that action by pushing a button on they keyboard for example. But you aren't done there, you need to set a name for the assignment otherwise it's blank and you don't have an easy way to see what is assigned. Then to disable/enable the lock buttons you have to use a separate software download from their website. I would have liked this functionality to be built into the base software and those buttons to be able to be assigned to any button which would have been very nice. Due to the way this happens and the warning about not losing power or unplugging the mouse I've got a feeling the extra 'updater' software is essentially a firmware hack to disable/enable those buttons. Final judgement is that the software is just average at best and easily outpaced by offerings from Logitech and Razer. The good news is that I didn't have any tracking issues, and even felt a little bit better than my Molten Naga. I'd heard and seen some bad reviews on the RATZ line so I was concerned about that. Even with the sub-par software this mouse was almost a Naga replacement for me. The one thing that will have me sending it back...once again the form factor. This one was so close to working it almost made me cry. This time the changeable piece on the right side of the mouse just kept my fingers out a bit too far for a claw grip. I actually removed the changeable piece on the right and the width at the base was perfect! However, even while I could deal with gripping part of the metal base, the very wide right mouse button gets in the way and pokes my hand some making it uncomfortable. Once again I'll blame the huge lock buttons as the culprit for why the right mouse button juts out so far. So the Cyborg M.M.O. 7 ended up closer than the G600 but didn't quite work out as a Naga replacement. I'll be watching Cyborg to see if they come out with anything a bit different because I had a lot of love for this mouse. I'll probably be sending in some feedback as well as it can't hurt. I'll be adding some pictures later. [ATTACH=CONFIG]233[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]232[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]234[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]236[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]238[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]241[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]242[/ATTACH]

Sadly the new Naga drops the two buttons on the edge of the left mouse button I currently use on my Molten Naga for right/left movement. I like to keep my movement buttons distinct from my ability buttons. :( My perfect mouse I think would be the G9x form factor, a M.M.O. 7 four-way thumb button, 3-6 ability buttons in a Naga-like thumbpad, and the quality lighting of the G600.

Original post updated with pictures, here are a few that didn't fit. [ATTACH=CONFIG]240[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]239[/ATTACH] Want to buy greater than 5 pictures per post limit! :) The last picture is where I used the mouse with the side panel off in order to try and make it more suitable for a claw grip.

post-269-142450056546_thumb.jpg

post-269-14245005655_thumb.jpg

Original post updated with pictures, here are a few that didn't fit. [ATTACH=CONFIG]240[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]239[/ATTACH] Want to buy greater than 5 pictures per post limit! :) The last picture is where I used the mouse with the side panel off in order to try and make it more suitable for a claw grip.
Hmm....? The picture limit is set to 25 per post. Doesn't work for you?

Is there a separate limit for attachments? But yeah' date=' I tried to add 7 in one go but it only did 5. Then I tried to add two more and it complained. ;)[/quote'] Hmm... shouldn't be any problems. I'll check the admin side again, but 25 is the current limit. There's a size limit though with attachments hosted on the forums so I don't get into hot water with my hosting plan's limit. Maybe you hit the attachment size limit?