Sign in to follow this  
Vanhodid

Ouya: $99 Android Powered Console

To many of you, console gaming is for the weak, while i semi-agree i still love to sit on my couch and play a few games with my mates, The android based console, Ouya, is being back up by a team of colorful tech personalities. The console is being designed by Yves Behar, who also crafted the Jawbone Jambox (portable Bluetooth speaker system) and One Laptop Per Child computers. Among the advisory committee for the console are; Ed Fries, former Vice-President at Microsoft, Amol Sarva of Peek, Color’s Peter Pham and Julie Urhman from IGN who is the founder and CEO of the company. The developers at Ouya started with a Goal of $950,000 at 9 am ET today at Kickstarter. It took less than 24 hours for the console’s Kickstarter campaign to its goal. And is currently at a staggering $1,400,000 and still rising! Ouya: A $99 Android Powered Console $99 Android Powered Console Ouya Passes 1 Millionth Mark

To many of you, console gaming is for the weak, while i semi-agree i still love to sit on my couch and play a few games with my mates, The android based console, Ouya, is being back up by a team of colorful tech personalities. The console is being designed by Yves Behar, who also crafted the Jawbone Jambox (portable Bluetooth speaker system) and One Laptop Per Child computers. Among the advisory committee for the console are; Ed Fries, former Vice-President at Microsoft, Amol Sarva of Peek, Color’s Peter Pham and Julie Urhman from IGN who is the founder and CEO of the company. The developers at Ouya started with a Goal of $950,000 at 9 am ET today at Kickstarter. It took less than 24 hours for the console’s Kickstarter campaign to its goal. And is currently at a staggering $1,400,000 and still rising! Ouya: A $99 Android Powered Console $99 Android Powered Console Ouya Passes 1 Millionth Mark
Oh, wow. That's pretty crazy. I've seen a lot of this open source gaming type of thing come and go but this one looks pretty promising with its high profile supporting cast. I wonder how well the Tegra 3 will compare against current gen gaming consoles especially with the next gen stuff coming out in a couple years as well. Without the major game studio backing, I'm thinking this'll be more of a indie game kind of thing at best - at least for the first couple years minimum. That said, what I'm actually more interested in seeing is how this thing will be hacked LOL. 1080P connection to your TV, wifi, bluetooth, and tegra3 for under $99? That's a great recipe for a HTPC.

That said, what I'm actually more interested in seeing is how this thing will be hacked LOL. 1080P connection to your TV, wifi, bluetooth, and tegra3 for under $99? That's a great recipe for a HTPC.
Wow, didn't think of that use :D

Wow' date=' didn't think of that use :D[/quote'] Truth be told that was the first thing that came to mind when I heard about this. I used to have a XBMC box back in the day which was pretty cool at the time. Then Sony came out with the PS3, which they originally said was gonna have full on Linux support, which was a huge part of the reason why I bought the thing for like $500ish or something ridiculous. Then they decided to cut linux support which royally sucked. :(

Truth be told that was the first thing that came to mind when I heard about this. I used to have a XBMC box back in the day which was pretty cool at the time. Then Sony came out with the PS3' date=' which they originally said was gonna have full on Linux support, which was a huge part of the reason why I bought the thing for like $500ish or something ridiculous. Then they decided to cut linux support which royally sucked. :([/quote'] I remember the Linux supported PS3. They cut that pretty quickly, didn't they? :( On topic, I think this is a great entry into the foray of gaming. IMHO, Nintendo has one last chance to stay in the dedicated console market and if the Wii U flops, they're done. Personally, I've given up a lot on Nintendo's ability to make quality. This, however, works in the favor of Ouya as it will be the ultimate casual gamer device, which is what Nintendo has turned into as of late. If Nintendo isn't there, Ouya can fill this niche market and have a good chance at surviving the next gen.