Sign in to follow this  
intensivebytes

Steelseries Kana Gaming Mouse Review

I saw this review section, and decided to give my go into reviewing my Steelseries Kana ;) It's my first time, so correct some of my mistakes. I also did this out of boredom, but it was nice to write this :P I also might review my Microsoft Life Chat LX-3000 headphone next, but that is if you guys would want my review on it. (Most pics taken from the Steelseries website) The Steelseries Kana is a mid range gaming mice by Steelseries. productpage_kana.png It is somewhat better than the Kinzu, but not much of a Sensei. It's a budget gaming mice, with 2 color choices, black, and white. The black version of the mice was the "winning design" of Steelseries' "Designed by Gamers" campaign, where around 60,000 votes named it the winning design. steelseries-kana-black_angle-image-1.jpeg The one I have is the black one, which comes with a decent matte finish. http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/steelseries-kana-mouse/steelseries-kana-mouse_box.jpg (Image above taken from Hardware Heaven) So inside the box, there isn't really much of a big deal, it's just the mice, and a Steelseries Kana manual. The Kana can reach up to 3600 "frames per second", and its' maximum acceleration goes up to 30 G, imagine how freaking fast that is! The mice contains 2 "XL" sized side buttons, one on the left, and one on the right. Unlike some other mice that have 2 buttons on one side, the Kana has 1 button on each side, to be able to press it easily for macro purposes. By default, the 2 buttons would function as "back" and "forward" buttons for web-browsing purposes. Personally for me, if I'm trying to press the right button which functions as a forward button on your web browser, it get's really uncomfortable and is a bit hard to press with my ring finger. Beneath the mice lies 3 plastic material mice feet. The Kana also lit up scroll wheel, which you can turn on or off, low, medium, or high through the Steelseries engine. It can be used to indicate your CPI settings. kinzu_kana_buttons.png There are a total of six buttons on the mice, the left and right click buttons, the scroll wheel button (AKA middle mouse button), the CPI toggle button, and the left and right side buttons. The Kana uses an optical sensor, instead of a laser sensor, which is also what makes it a budget gaming mice. What I like about the Kana's design is that it is friendly to both right handers and left handers, so if you're a left hander, you don't have to worry! The Kana will fit perfectly in your hands and you can switch from Right-Handed mode to Left-Handed mode through the Steelseries engine. kana_cord_spec-11.png The Kana uses a double braided cord, so it is tangle-free and more durable. Unlike other mice, the ruberry cord isn't really good, and can get spoilt a bit easier than a double braided cord. kana_spec_size4.png Even though the Kana is more of a mice that is "in the middle", it is really worth it's price and if you're looking to get a decent sized mice that is better than a Kinzu, and have an average budget, the Kana is the perfect mice for you.

Nice! Looks pretty cool. I'm actually on the Sensei right now and one problem i find with it is that the side buttons are too easy to press. I accidentally hit the right side buttons a lot, so I've actually got them disabled now. With the Razer Taipan, this isn't an issue as the buttons are a lot stiffer... except it's awkward to hit as well, so it's useless too. I do like how it's pretty big though. Allows me to palm grip pretty well. Glad you're a fan of the Kana. Also, I removed the hotlinked picture you have from HH, but if you know the guy who took that and he's ok with hotlinking it here, then let me know. For future reviews, please provide your own pictures of the product as well per rules. http://www.forums.custompcreview.com/f60/community-review-rules-215/

Hmm, I guess I didn't see the (Your own please!) :( I'll be sure to take my own then for future reviews. For the Kana the buttons are pretty stiff, and there's lots of space for your thumb to rest, so it doesn't touch the button :P
Not a problem. Just don't wanna get requests from other sites to remove images since they are copyrighted. Hmmm that's strange. The side buttons aren't as stiff on the sensei and I find my right fingers accidentally hitting the side buttons at times. It was originally set to page up/down and i kept accidentally scrolling lol.