Sign in to follow this  
mrisump

$2000 Build Finally Complete

I finally 'completed' the build which I asked some questions about a few weeks ago. Now, I know that $2000 might be a bit off. The prices vary, and taxes are odd around the globe. Note: I'll be telling some about how it went here, so if you don't want to read that, just skip to the 'bold' section called "The Specifications". Receiving and Ordering the Components First off I got a package where as I expected everything, except for the Graphics Card and the Case, to be in. At first I didn't open the package, as I figured "pff, no need". Then it occured to me that I should probably check the contents, so that I'd be able to report if anything was missing. And then BAM! There was an Operating System, a Power Supply and a Processor. And.. Nothing more. I am clueless as to why in the world of Terra they'd chosen to ship everything seperately - for the record, I still don't know why they shipped the two packages seperately. I then went on my old PC to check when the next package would arrive. I was saddened to see that the date had been pushed yet another week (it wouldn't have been in stock until next Monday, that excluding the shipping to my home!), due to my Graphics Card (the GTX 680 DirectCU II from ASUS) at the time. I then began grumbling and thinking about what I'd really need from my Graphics Card. And I figured settling with a 670 would be good enough, and would be far easier to deal with now, and in the future - so sorry to disappoint you Sam, this isn't quite as magnificent as you might have thought it would be. But, I changed part of the delivery and everything got here last Monday. Hurray! Assembly of the PC This was.. Rather anti-climactic. A friend of mine came over to help me with the assembly, and ended up doing the majority of it for me. But after he'd left (mind you, it was in the middle of the night at that point), I figured "Hey, why not try to boot the system before I go to bed?". I was sort of surprised to see it not booting. Well, at least no signal was delivered to my monitor. I was furious the next day at school and.. Well, this sounds like a diary. Sorry 'bout that. Anyway, I got home, took a chill pill (the imaginary kind), and began taking everything apart, and then tested things without the Graphics Card. Still to no avail. Then I figured I might as well check the power cables a third time, and suddenly stuff began working. I managed to get the BIOS running, but the DVD Drive didn't feel like opening. So that took quite a while of tampering to get open, but finally Windows 7 got installed. After that, I installed the Graphics Card, and since I got home from school today (approximately 5 hours ago), I've been installing drivers, checked the connections, etc. I still haven't managed to test anything though. Figured I'd give you guys an update on the stuff, I feel like I owe it to you guys (for whatever reason). The Specifications Power supply Corsair AX750 Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Processor Intel i7 2600K 8MB CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 Graphics card Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5 (2GB) Case Corsair Obsidian 550D Random Access Memory Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4 GB (Low-Profile) Solid State Drive OCZ Vertex 3 Main Harddrive Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EARX Backup Harddrive Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB WD5000AZRX DVD Burner Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Pictures Coming Soon! I'll be taking pictures when the lighting conditions are better. Final Notes I still haven't installed very much. The only thing currently manually installed is Windows Live Essentials (yet somehow I've managed to already have 50 background processes running. Oops), but I'm about the install Steam, so I can get some games installed.

Really nice rig man! Lemme know what you think of that Asus 670. :biggrin:
have a mate who just got the EVGA 670 (reference) he says it's awesome.. Also you may want to look at video's on overclocking the 600 series because there are several factors to consider with turbo boost, increasing the voltage may even be worse off.. hard to explain so i'll link this video if you have time watch it. ?v=8LmqQTzMRBg