Sign in to follow this  
mrisump

Recording with Fraps (SSD's)

Hi there everybody! I, as you may or may not know, have plans on making Let's Play videos. This has given me a great interest in the recording software "FRAPS". Now I've heard a lot about how FRAPS really shrinks down your fps - and I have a feeling that that's the hard drive bottlenecking things, since FRAPS has to write all the uncompressed video onto the hard drive, as fast as the CPU and GPU is calculating the data. So I've been thinking: Why not make FRAPS record to an SSD, and when you're done with a recording session, move the files to your storage harddrive? Do you think this would have any noticeable effect? I realize that it would wear on the SSD quite a bit, and that a simple 20-minute recording takes up a bunch of space (I've quickly searched about that, it seems to be about 60GB for 20 minutes of Full HD footage), but I still think it could be a viable option - what are your thoughts? Obviously I've been considering doing it with my own future videos, though the SSD I'd record it to, is 120GB and would have Windows 7 as well as Adobe Master Collection (and a few games and application, benefiting from fast speeds) on it.

Hi there everybody! I, as you may or may not know, have plans on making Let's Play videos. This has given me a great interest in the recording software "FRAPS". Now I've heard a lot about how FRAPS really shrinks down your fps - and I have a feeling that that's the hard drive bottlenecking things, since FRAPS has to write all the uncompressed video onto the hard drive, as fast as the CPU and GPU is calculating the data. So I've been thinking: Why not make FRAPS record to an SSD, and when you're done with a recording session, move the files to your storage harddrive? Do you think this would have any noticeable effect? I realize that it would wear on the SSD quite a bit, and that a simple 20-minute recording takes up a bunch of space (I've quickly searched about that, it seems to be about 60GB for 20 minutes of Full HD footage), but I still think it could be a viable option - what are your thoughts? Obviously I've been considering doing it with my own future videos, though the SSD I'd record it to, is 120GB and would have Windows 7 as well as Adobe Master Collection (and a few games and application, benefiting from fast speeds) on it.
that's a lot of writes on a SSD will make it wear out faster.

You know... I don't think it's the sequential writes that's the cause of the FPS slowdown. I think it's because FRAPS limits your framerates. After all, there's no point in recording 80FPS uncompressed video when most video ends up being 24-30FPS. Since FRAPS is sequential writes more than anything, a RAID 0 array with 2x 7200RPM hard drives should be plenty fast.

Since FRAPS is sequential writes more than anything, a RAID 0 array with 2x 7200RPM hard drives should be plenty fast.
I've heard the exact same thing before. And as PC_user said it's not that good for SSD's. They aren't really meant for things to be constantly written to them.

I've heard the exact same thing before. And as PC_user it's not that good for SSD's. They aren't really meant for things to be constantly written to them.
that's why its recommended to move your paging file to another drive or disable it.

You know what'd be a pretty cool now that I think about it? Move to the X79 platform and buy 64GB+ memory. Then, reserve 4-6GB for your system and use the rest as a ramdrive for recording your FRAPS videos. That'd remove any remote possibility of drive bottlenecking period.... :)

have you priced 64gb of ram it would be cheaper to buy SSDs Ripjaws Z Series 64GB Now: $949.99 buy a WD 1TB 64mb cache HD is all you would need Fraps is harder on the CPU then anything Dxtory I can record 50gb game play w/o Issue on a spinner drive no issues no loss of FPS and very small amount of CPU usage at 40fps recording unlike fraps you don't have to encode the video.

have you priced 64gb of ram it would be cheaper to buy SSDs Ripjaws Z Series 64GB Now: $949.99
Haha just thought it'd be cool since I've never actually found a good reason to have a ramdrive. Never said it'd be cost effective :p. Even going from Z68/Z77 to X79 would already be expensive. Then again, what the hell... might as well go big or go home right?

that's a lot of writes on a SSD will make it wear out faster.
Yeah PC_User, that was one of the things I was concerned about. I wasn't entirely sure how quick it'd wear out, but I'm assuming it'd be pretty darn fast then.
Since FRAPS is sequential writes more than anything' date=' a RAID 0 array with 2x 7200RPM hard drives should be plenty fast.[/quote'] See now that actually seems particularly tempting - and quite a bit cheaper than Ramdisks! What I'm not really getting is how a $949.99 60GB SSD is cheaper than 64GB of RAM. The RAM wouldn't go above approximately $300. But then again, you'd need a Motherboard, thereby a CPU, which is compatible, and yada yada, suddenly, expensive. Yet ("again") SSD-Caching was suggested. Wouldn't that wear out the SSD just as fast?

See now that actually seems particularly tempting - and quite a bit cheaper than Ramdisks! What I'm not really getting is how a $949.99 60GB SSD is cheaper than 64GB of RAM. The RAM wouldn't go above approximately $300. But then again, you'd need a Motherboard, thereby a CPU, which is compatible, and yada yada, suddenly, expensive. Yet ("again") SSD-Caching was suggested. Wouldn't that wear out the SSD just as fast?
Whoa! Where are you finding a $949 60GB SSD? I'd say cheapest for 64GB of memory is ~$500ish, but yeah, you'll have to go through paying the extra cash for the X79 board which starts at ~$200-$300 with 8 dimm boards being closer to $300 than anything else. As for SSD caching, yes it will wear out SSDs faster, which is why the special caching drives like the OCZ Synapse and Crucial Adrenaline and stuff all have really high overprovisioning. I've seen it go up as high as 50% to make up for the NAND that wears out. Caching though isn't suggested for FRAPS recording. Every time you record new footage, you're writing new, random data that the cache won't actually "cache" which means you'll essentially be getting hard drive speeds only.

I agree with some of the people here FRAPS takes up way to much of the computer`s resources I use msi afterburner just as a cheap alternative and I barely lose any fps other solutions like xsplit and xfire are all very good too

Whoa! Where are you finding a $949 60GB SSD? I'd say cheapest for 64GB of memory is ~$500ish, but yeah, you'll have to go through paying the extra cash for the X79 board which starts at ~$200-$300 with 8 dimm boards being closer to $300 than anything else. As for SSD caching, yes it will wear out SSDs faster, which is why the special caching drives like the OCZ Synapse and Crucial Adrenaline and stuff all have really high overprovisioning. I've seen it go up as high as 50% to make up for the NAND that wears out. Caching though isn't suggested for FRAPS recording. Every time you record new footage, you're writing new, random data that the cache won't actually "cache" which means you'll essentially be getting hard drive speeds only.
what I was referring at the time to is x79 board 300.00 / CPU i7-3820- 300.00 / 64gb Dram 400.00 vs the cost of a 60gb el cheapo SSD , But it all good :biggrin: