Sign in to follow this  
Vanhodid

Death to WD and Seagate?

Since now SSD's are rappidly getting cheaper, what do you think would happen to the 2 Mechanical Giants? do you think they will buy out a smaller company and build from there, or you think they have already got a few hamsters running at the wheel? Whats your thoughts, are you sad to see WD and SG go?

HDDs are still quite a bit cheaper, I think they will still have a place in mass storage (I can't see myself buying 5tb of SSDs to replace my HDD storage). But eventually SSDs will overtake HDDs just because of the mechanical limitations on HDDs, you just can't have a HDD running at 50,000 RPM and still being reliable and decently sized.

Funny you asked that ..... I was just reading "HDD Crisis Was Fake: Seagate and Western Digital Post Big Profits" HDD Crisis Was Fake: Seagate and Western Digital Post Big Profits - Softpedia
HOLY SHIT, it seemed weird that it was never out of stock, i just stores limiting 1 PP for the velociraptors.. And i see myself going SSD soon, thing about it, .9995C for 1GB yeah more expensive, but 3 times the speed of the HDD... while a 1TB HDD costs .10cents each GB, and a 2TB fosts half that, for the speed improvements plus the rapid decline in prices i think it'll be next year when we see stuff changing!

I myself was lucky enough to purchase my WD caviar blacks before the big price increase, when I bought them they were 54.99 a piece... two months later the same HDD was 129.99 on Newegg. These will definitely be migrated over to the new build for bulk storage and MP3 downloads. However I will be purchasing a 256GB SSD for my boot drive. I have to say that I am not at all surprised that both Seagate and Western Digital posted big profits, something smelled fishy about this situation from the start.

Neither WD or Seagate will go anywhere... it's physically impossible - at least until NAND flash production ramps up very, very significantly or tech increases capacity like crazy. Seagate CEO Steve Luczo sums it up quite nicely...

Q: Someone said to me if you tried to replace all world’s drives with flash, today – your 400 exabytes – that there’s not even enough flash capacity in the world… A: It would be like 25% of that. And that would mean not building any phones or iPads or anything else. And what’s the revenue opportunity for that? 25% of the drive market is $10 billion. So you’re going to turn over every fab in the world for $10 billion, even though they’re generating probably $150 billion doing the other stuff? Think of it the other way though – if I am trying to address 400 exabytes of data, and ok we admit the whole world’s not going to go that way – like we admit its only 20% of the notebook market – so the notebook market is 125 exabytes, and 20% of that is 25 exabytes; that means I need four of the most recent Samsung Fab 16s – the world’s largest memory fab – four. That’s $50 billion. And by the way – it has to be up and running today.
Seagate CEO Luczo On Drives, Zettabytes, Flash And His Tattoo - Forbes

Neither WD or Seagate will go anywhere... it's physically impossible - at least until NAND flash production ramps up very, very significantly or tech increases capacity like crazy. Seagate CEO Steve Luczo sums it up quite nicely... Seagate CEO Luczo On Drives, Zettabytes, Flash And His Tattoo - Forbes
Very nice, but think about how far this year alone has gotten flash, it was almost useless before jully last year, problems everywhere, now they are fixing it and the jump in sales can't be small ;)

Neither WD or Seagate will go anywhere... it's physically impossible - at least until NAND flash production ramps up very' date=' very significantly or tech increases capacity like crazy. Seagate CEO Steve Luczo sums it up quite nicely...[/quote'] This is very much true. I've got a system SSD and 18TB of conventional hard drive storage in use. I get good laughs when people talk about hard drives disappearing anytime soon. ;)

I don't see mechanical drives going anywhere, anytime soon. SSD technology has a lot of maturing and developing to do before it becomes affordable for the masses to switch over. Believe it or not, there are still people who use IDE hard drives...

I don't see mechanical drives going anywhere' date=' anytime soon. SSD technology has a lot of maturing and developing to do before it becomes affordable for the masses to switch over. Believe it or not, there are still people who use IDE hard drives...[/quote'] Mike might want to check up on the last posted date before reviving a thread :P but yeah, SSD's while getting cheaper, i'd say give them 1-2 years again to make them kick off as a standard in the industry..

Sweet Jesus. haha I could have swore that this post had a new post thingy beside it. Meh, that's what happens when you lurk forums at like 5AM.
hhahaa no prob. BTW not sure if you know, but you can sort by last post when you're in the forums view. That way only new posts show up. Glad to see you more often on the forums though, Mike. :)