Sign in to follow this  
sam.chen

What's in Your Camera Bag?

So, kinda stole this idea from all the YT videos floating around, but thought it'd be cool to find out what all you guys have in your camera bags since I'm sure more than a few of you guys are pro photogs. Here's pretty much what I've got: http://www.forums.custompcreview.com/f63/youtube-cameras-equipment-236/ I've actually got a D800 on pre-order right now and I can't wait for it to come in. Total 3k down the drain haha! Anyway, when I go out shooting though I'm more of a minimalistic type of guy. I usually just carry around the D7000 + 24mm f/1.4 and I'm set. I like walking around and getting close to subjects for that perfect shot. What kinda gear are you guys rocking?

My camera bag just contains a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 and the usb cable. Nothing impressive I know, but going for a SLR camera isn't an option for me due to the sheer size and weight (+price). This baby I can just tug away in my jacket when hiking or snowboarding and still take decent pictures with. When I settle down a bit and go traveling a lot, I will definetely invest in a SLR, but the TZ20 keeps me entertainted in the mean time! ;)

An old Panasonic DMC-FZ50 P&S' date=' been in the market for a new DSLR, but been a little overwhelmed by all that's out there. Probably end up going Nikon or Cannon once I find a good deal on one...[/quote'] I can imagine the big supply in different camera's these days is overwhelming. If you have a few camera's in mind, I suggest taking a look at PhotographyBLOG. They do extensive reviews of different brands+types which makes it easier to compare them. What do you guys find important requirements for a DSLR (assuming you are not professional photographers... ;))?

Currently I dont own a DSLR but Id really like to get my hands on 1 or atleast some high quality digital. All the pictures I take are either with my Nexus S or my Ricoh Auto TLS (35mm film SLR). I got a couple rikenon lenses to go with it including f/1.7 50mm, f/2.8 28mm and a f/3.5 200mm. I tend to shoot with ~125 iso film. Also for any1 who underestimates using a smart phone for photography: 2lv030i.jpg I took this pic yesterday. It just takes some time as a quick point and click with it usually ends in blurry or grainy pics :(

What do you guys find important requirements for a DSLR (assuming you are not professional photographers... ;))?
Needs to be Nikon. (Cause I have tons of their lenses hahahahaa) @Russell That taken with the Nexus S? Looks pretty good.

Yeah I'm actually impressed with the quality of the nexus S! But I hold my ground, it's a nice added feature, but eventually smartphone photo's are only for those emergy cases in which you didn't bring a camera and you need to take a picture (like blackboard drawings lol!) And no matter how much you fiddle with the settings of my ZTE Blade... the pictures stay crap! xD

My camera bag is not the most exotic one. I usually carry around a Nikon D5100 with either the 18-55 kit lens or 55-200 F4-5.6. Or if the battery of the D5100 is dead I just grab the D40 :D
Nice! I've actually got a D40 too. That was my first DSLR and I still love it. Pair it up with the $200 35mm f/1.8 and it's an amazing travel DSLR. Light, easy to carry, and excellent photo quality!

Nice! I've actually got a D40 too. That was my first DSLR and I still love it. Pair it up with the $200 35mm f/1.8 and it's an amazing travel DSLR. Light' date=' easy to carry, and excellent photo quality![/quote'] It's amazing how much it still rocks, more then 6 years after it being announced. I like it's simplicity, but the lack of video mode is a bit bothersome sometimes (speaking as a youtuber :p)

It's amazing how much it still rocks' date=' more then 6 years after it being announced. I like it's simplicity, but the lack of video mode is a bit bothersome sometimes (speaking as a youtuber :p)[/quote'] Yup. At t he time, it was pretty cheap for that one too. I think I paid $400 or something like that for the D40 + kit lens. You just don't see anything like that anymore. :(

Yup. At t he time' date=' it was pretty cheap for that one too. I think I paid $400 or something like that for the D40 + kit lens. You just don't see anything like that anymore. :([/quote'] My dad bought it in december 2008 for 400€ w/ double zoom kit. (18-55 + 55-200). AMAZING! ;)

Oh yeah.... I'd really like to see some <$400 DSLRs these days - especially with video recording. I think those will sell great among the YouTube crowd.
Especially those just starting out. The only really cheap DSLR is the Canon 1100D and it's not really that good in video. Someone needs to do it and I don't care who :p

My Camera Bag consists of the following: Canon 5D MkII Canon 70-200mm F/4 Canon 50mm F/1.4 Canon 100mm F/2.8L Macro Canon 135mm F/2L Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 Zoom H4N LCW 77mm Variable ND Filter Photography is just another expensive hobby for me lol.

My Camera Bag consists of the following: Canon 5D MkII Canon 70-200mm F/4 Canon 50mm F/1.4 Canon 100mm F/2.8L Macro Canon 135mm F/2L Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 Zoom H4N LCW 77mm Variable ND Filter Photography is just another expensive hobby for me lol.
Oh wow nice set of gear you have there! You're missing the 85mm 1.2L and the 24-70mm 2.8L though hehe :) What type of photography do you normally do? Personally, the way I look at photography is that it's actually the most inexpensive hobby for me. Unlike most things in the world, high end photography gear doesn't devalue over time (and most even increase in value based on inflation).

Oh wow nice set of gear you have there! You're missing the 85mm 1.2L and the 24-70mm 2.8L though hehe :) What type of photography do you normally do? Personally, the way I look at photography is that it's actually the most inexpensive hobby for me. Unlike most things in the world, high end photography gear doesn't devalue over time (and most even increase in value based on inflation).
That is a very good point. Although it still feels expensive lol. I have found myself shooting a lot of sports, landscapes and candid moments. I'm not big on portraits or wedding style photography. I would however like to do a wedding just for the challenge. The 85 1.2 is on the bucket list, but a long ways down. I'm going to sell the 70-200 F/4 and upgrade to the 70-200 F/2.8 IS II before getting the 85mm 1.2 My next lense will most likely be a 35mm of some sort... most likely the Canon L. There are just so many choices with these lenses... I wish I could have them all lol. You can see some of my work on 500px: http://500px.com/HybridAWD