Sign in to follow this  
Vanhodid

Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty

Hey guys, just got my Recon 3D this afternoon and was waiting for it to do my headphone review too, so here'es the card Some quick specs and features ggggggggggggg.jpggggggg.jpg This is the box: Closebox.jpg Once it's opened: Openbocx.jpg Side of the box: Sidebox.jpg The card itself: Topview.jpg Underside: underplate.jpg Rear I/O: rearIO.jpg The Crystal Voice module: Soundblaster.jpg Now i've had this card up and running for the past hour or so and already.. well to be honest i'm not an audiophile, but i like some sound and i don't notice a difference, it's definetly louder than before, but not much better quality, the 5.1 capabilities made it my choice as i got real 5.1 surround Roccat Kave's, i can't want to give this a shot in some games was super easy to install has a nice red LED in the shroud ligting the card up, has a HD audio connector in the from of the card for front pannel audio i'll eddit this post if i find this card to be any real advantage, but so far it's the same as onboard, The software that comes with this card is amazing, EQ, smart volume (keeps the volume the same across all music tracks) Scout mode (makes enemies louder (keen to try it)) heaps of sound level options, very glad about this card.

Oh wow' date=' that card looks so much better than the basic Recon 3D PCIe. Does the crystal voice module actually work? Doesn't come with the basic Recon 3D either.[/quote'] haha well funny thing they just moved warehouse, so i got the Fatality for no charge lol, and i tried it on my xbox and it sounds awsome, its very good at picking stuff up and not very sensitive when you pick it up, works well with voices, go on mumble and i'll give it a shot.

haha well funny thing they just moved warehouse' date=' so i got the Fatality for no charge lol, and i tried it on my xbox and it sounds awsome, its very good at picking stuff up and not very sensitive when you pick it up, works well with voices, go on mumble and i'll give it a shot.[/quote'] Mumble server not online ATM haha. Lucky you though, that Fatal1ty edition looks really nice!

It looks pretty beastly. I've considered getting one but I've heard it's fairly pointless unless you have a super good ear and/or really awesome speakers. I want one anyways! :P
I would argue that most speakers and headphones/headsets can benefit from a card like this. One of the main reasons for this is the processing and quality enhancing that the sound card can do when one manipulates the settings. Obviously, better equipment will benefit more from this but a device like this can enhance the overall audio experience. Audio, being subjective however, is not something that can be accurately measured. XD

Oh BTW guys, I tested the Crystal Voice feature with @Vanhodid and all I can say is wow. I thought it was pretty gimmicky from the looks of it, but it actually works. BG noise was cut down REALLY well and the usual hiss you hear from people with gaming headsets was not there at all. Definitely recommend going with that Fatal1ty edition or above if you're planning on getting a Recon 3D and you use a lot of VoIP.

Oh BTW guys' date=' I tested the Crystal Voice feature with @Vanhodid and all I can say is wow. I thought it was pretty gimmicky from the looks of it, but it actually works. BG noise was cut down REALLY well and the usual hiss you hear from people with gaming headsets was not there at all. Definitely recommend going with that Fatal1ty edition or above if you're planning on getting a Recon 3D and you use a lot of VoIP.[/quote'] I ought to grab one of these along with a new headset then. That Crystal Voice feature sounds really nice especially for games like Counter Strike.

I would argue that most speakers and headphones/headsets can benefit from a card like this. One of the main reasons for this is the processing and quality enhancing that the sound card can do when one manipulates the settings. Obviously' date=' better equipment will benefit more from this but a device like this can enhance the overall audio experience. Audio, being subjective however, is not something that can be accurately measured. XD[/quote'] I had a feeling this was the case but I had no experience myself so I couldn't really say anything. Thank you for sharing your insight. Plus, after Sam's testing of the Crystal Voice feature...I really want one now. Anytime I can get background noise axed out, I'm down.

I had a feeling this was the case but I had no experience myself so I couldn't really say anything. Thank you for sharing your insight. Plus' date=' after Sam's testing of the Crystal Voice feature...I really want one now. Anytime I can get background noise axed out, I'm down.[/quote'] I am glad my input was helpful. Crystal voice is one of the BEST features of the card. Running my GPU fan at 100% and having nobody able to hear it is beyond amazing. I would suggest, if you already have a good mic, to just get the default version in order to save yourself some money. It is the version I use and couldn't be happier. A great first step into sound cards, especially for gamers. And for laptop users, they have a USB version as well! :D Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I agree, that looks like a slick feature. It has been some time since I used other than whatever crappy onboard solution was available. How is Soundblaster with drivers these days? Since I made the leap of faith to win7/64 I have been hesitant to annoy it with less than stellar supported add ons.

I agree' date=' that looks like a slick feature. It has been some time since I used other than whatever crappy onboard solution was available. How is Soundblaster with drivers these days? Since I made the leap of faith to win7/64 I have been hesitant to annoy it with less than stellar supported add ons.[/quote'] Creative drivers are still less than stellar these days, but much better than what we've seen in the past. They also include a lot fewer useless bundled software as well, which is great.

One complaint, if it hasn't opend this boot, it can take 10 seconds to open, that can get annoying, but open it once and its instant from there on, every option is clearly labled and a description of what it does... hope that helps.

i gotRoccat's Kave 5.1' date=' i might aswell get going on a review, so expect to see it up soon[/quote'] Nice! I actually asked ROCCAT for a sample, but they didn't respond. I'd love to see what you think of that. Haven't tried any of ROCCAT's gear yet.