Sign in to follow this  
fuller2002

Hi guys

Hey, Just a quick intro! My names Matt and I've been using Apple gear for the last 5 years, before that I was custom building my PC's but chose the Mac OS and ascetics over pc. Now I'm switching back! Im studying architecture and the software I use is extremely taxing on my iMac so Im building a pc again, can't wait! Anyway hopefully I can get some good advice etc from these forums, Sams reviews seem to be great so looking forwarded to more of them.

Hey, Just a quick intro! My names Matt and I've been using Apple gear for the last 5 years, before that I was custom building my PC's but chose the Mac OS and ascetics over pc. Now I'm switching back! Im studying architecture and the software I use is extremely taxing on my iMac so Im building a pc again, can't wait! Anyway hopefully I can get some good advice etc from these forums, Sams reviews seem to be great so looking forwarded to more of them.
Hey Matt, welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask any questions you have on the forums. Hopefully we can help. :) What kind of software do you use? AutoCAD?

Hey Matt, welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask any questions you have on the forums. Hopefully we can help. :) What kind of software do you use? AutoCAD?
AutoCAD which tends to run fine, but I mostly use Revit which is the most power hungry app i've ever used and the main reason I'm building a pc again.

AutoCAD which tends to run fine' date=' but I mostly use Revit which is the most power hungry app i've ever used and the main reason I'm building a pc again.[/quote'] Oh yeah, Revit is a huge resource hog. But I guess with great power comes great need for resources. :p You planning on an X79 system for that?

Oh yeah, Revit is a huge resource hog. But I guess with great power comes great need for resources. :p You planning on an X79 system for that?
Yeah SB-E X79, going with the 3960K 6 core i7, 16gb quad channel ddr3, gtx570, 120gb intel SSD, asus p9x79 pro in a corsair 500r should scream

Yeah SB-E X79' date=' going with the 3960K 6 core i7, 16gb quad channel ddr3, gtx570, 120gb intel SSD, asus p9x79 pro in a corsair 500r should scream[/quote'] Oh yeah, that looks pretty damn sexy. Why the GTX 570? Carrying over from a current build or something?

Oh yeah' date=' that looks pretty damn sexy. Why the GTX 570? Carrying over from a current build or something?[/quote'] Waiting for the other 600 series cards to come out and become a reasonable price, currently 680's are $700 in Australia its a joke

Waiting for the other 600 series cards to come out and become a reasonable price' date=' currently 680's are $700 in Australia its a joke[/quote'] Damn... that's a pretty serious markup. Computer shops in Australia must be making big bucks. How's pricing on the HD 7970 looking?

Damn... that's a pretty serious markup. Computer shops in Australia must be making big bucks. How's pricing on the HD 7970 looking?
The reference cards are just under $600 or right on $600 and ones with after market coolers or OC are mid 600's but my mate who is quite the gamer (Team immunity, they just won the world title in BF3 against Finland) has a AMD card and really regrets it, stating that the drivers are not as good and took about 3 weeks to update for BF3 where nvidia had a driver from day one and that nvidia cards just seem to like BF3 and some other games better (higher FPS) which is why I'm going to stick with Nvidia, I need super stable drivers for Revit and i do plan on gaming a bit in my spare time.