Sign in to follow this  
MerlinTheWise

PC Won't Start Up

Hi. I'm not sure if I should have posted this in the new pc's tab of the forums here, but I need help. This is the first time I've set out to make a computer of my own, and I thought I figured everything out correctly. Well, apparently not. I suppose I should have looked into everything more before ordering all the parts, but here I am. I finished putting all of my new parts together, made sure to minimize if not eradicate static elecricity within my workspace, and have everything ready to go. The only problem? The thing won't start up at all. The only thing I get is a small blip of an LED on the motherboard when I hit the power button, but then absolutely nothing happens. Please, I need help. I have no idea what's wrong, and all of the parts should work together. I'm terrified that I just wasted a buttload of money, so I'd like to know if I did something wrong or if it's simply a faulty part. For reference I'll link a screenshot of the parts list I got: https://gyazo.com/236a474ff83d680e6b033adfcab85cde

P.S. I don't know any tech-savvy terms when it comes to computers, so if anyone helping could lay things out like I'm a 2nd grader, it'd be appreciated. 

Hey, welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you might have a short going on somewhere as the PC will continue to stay on if something was incompatible. Did you properly use the motherboard standoffs to mount the motherboard? If so, I'd recommend removing everything from the PC case and putting the motherboard on a non-conductive surface like the box the motherboard came in. Then stick in the CPU, RAM, and GPU, and try to boot it up. If it comes on, then somewhere you have a short.

While it's on a non-conductive surface, also ensure all the power connectors are properly on and not loose if you have a modular PSU. 

Aside from that, all I can think of is you may have a DOA motherboard. You may want to contact the manufacturer or the store where you purchased it for an exchange.