Sign in to follow this  
geforce_ftw

Where to get the cheap car batteries? (but decent quality)

Car battery recently went out on the 09 Mazda 3 so I thought I'd ask where y'all get your car batteries from. Looking for a cheap battery, but not one that will fail on me in a year. Yeah, I know you get what you pay for... but still. Anybody have any experience with Costco, Walmart or Sams Club car batteries? My last battery was a AAA battery that I got when my car was stuck in a parking lot a couple years back. 

I've bought some batteries from Costco for my Honda. They used to be pretty cheap but the prices went up a lot in the past few years so I don't know how comparable they are. Their warranty is great. One of the Costco batteries failed in 15 months or something and I brought it back to Costco. They gave a full refund then used the money to buy a new battery for me at the same price as the old battery in the most painless way too. Sucks that it failed in 15 months, but new battery is a win. 

Well, the cheapest would be a free battery or a subsidized one under warranty. Since you got your dead battery from AAA, depending on which AAA you belong to, they usually provide 3 years free replacement and 3 more years where the battery would be subsidized. Unless your battery is over 6 years or you just want something even better, that'd probably be the route to go.  

https://ww1.aaa.com/services/automotive/battery/batteryQuote.html?004=&association=aaa

If you want something better, I can't recommend the Duralast Platinum enough. I've got one in my older Acura and that thing is seriously a champ. Car starts way better in the cold and tbh car just starts way better in general. That said, it's quite pricey.... but worth every penny IMO. 

On 7/18/2017 at 4:42 AM, sam.chen said:

Well, the cheapest would be a free battery or a subsidized one under warranty. Since you got your dead battery from AAA, depending on which AAA you belong to, they usually provide 3 years free replacement and 3 more years where the battery would be subsidized. Unless your battery is over 6 years or you just want something even better, that'd probably be the route to go.  

https://ww1.aaa.com/services/automotive/battery/batteryQuote.html?004=&association=aaa

If you want something better, I can't recommend the Duralast Platinum enough. I've got one in my older Acura and that thing is seriously a champ. Car starts way better in the cold and tbh car just starts way better in general. That said, it's quite pricey.... but worth every penny IMO. 

Actually when I got stuck I called them to warranty replace, but they just gave me a jump start and sent me on my way the guy said the battery was good which I guess it was for a week then it wasn't. I'll probably stop by into Costco. I like their generous warranty policies and if the batteries are the same no BS policy, I think that's the way to go for me.