Sign in to follow this  
mrmbp

Suggestions or Critiques of my video/audio build

Hi. I'm a newcomer here. I'm working on building a new desktop pc for creating animations, using Adobe CC and Blender, and also doing audio recording using Cakewalk Sonar. I would like this machine to be as versatile as possible within my budget. The build I have thus far is listed below. I'm really stretching things with this and would love to reduce costs, but I'm not sure if there's any place I can save much. Perhaps I'm skimping someplace that I shouldn't.

I have chosen the ASUS X99 Deluxe because it has both M.2 and U.2 connections. I think one of those SSDs will be for OS and programs and the other for swap space. Also, this mobo comes with a Thunderbolt 3 card.

One specific question I have is whether I should wait for the Threadripper release and see if it reduces prices of CPUs across the board. Maybe I can save a couple hundred bucks if I wait till the end of August.

PCPartpicker says there may be a problem with the motherboard needing a BIOS update for this CPU, but I think that is outdated info. Anyone know for sure? 

Is there a less expensive alternative to the Intel SSD that I could use in the U.2 connection?

Anyone see any other issues or have any suggestions?

Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance!

CPU Intel Core i7 6850K 3.6GHz 6 Core Processor $449.89
CPU Cooler Cooler Master MasterAir Pro 4 66.7 CFM CPU Cooler $29.99
Thermal Compound Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste $11.99
Motherboard Asus X99 DELUXE II ATX LGA2011 3 Motherboard $383.98
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 Memory $319.98
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 2280 Solid State Drive $127.88
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $429.99
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $66.89
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 $169.99
Case be quiet! Pure Base 600 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $77.37
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi Modular ATX Power Supply $139.40
Optical Drive Pioneer BDR 209DBK Blu Ray/DVD/CD Writer ( @ OutletPC) $58.88
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64 bit $139.88

Total   $2,406.11

I would probably remove that Intel 750. There's no reason to buy two separate PCIe SSDs when you can buy a single 960 EVO 1TB at a cheaper price. FYI the U.2 connector is kinda a dead in the water connector that nobody is going to use down the road, so don't base any buying decisions on that. M.2 NVMe is the future for PCIe. 

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E1T0BW/dp/B01LXS4TY6/

That PSU is also waaaaaay overkill. I'd drop it down to 650W or even 550W unless you aspire to significantly upgrade the graphics and put two cards in there at some point.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-120-G1-0650-XR/dp/B00K85X2AW/

For the BIOS update thing, it's only if you get a super board that shipped with very old firmware designed before the newer processors were released. Generally, you shouldn't have to worry about it. 

If you're trying to save money, you can try AMD's Ryzen platform. You can get a Ryzen 7 1700 and a X370 motherboard for a couple hundred cheaper than the Intel X99 based system. It's comparable since it's an 8-core vs the Intel 6-core you've got. Ryzen is still a relatively new platform though, so it could be buggy, but AMD has been rolling lots of updates since the CPU was launched, so as long as you're OK with doing regular updating and dealing with some bugginess, it should be a solid platform for your workstation.  Also, it comes with a cooler so you can save a bit on that as well. 

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Cooler-YD1700BBAEBOX/dp/B06WP5YCX6/

https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Crosshair-VI-Hero-Motherboard/dp/B06W2L6GBX/

Thanks, Sam. I'll replace that PSU and go with the 1 TB 960 EVO. I'm unlikely to go to dual video cards. 

I still like the X99 Deluxe 2 for the Thunderbolt card. I haven't seen any others with that. 

I had initially been looking at a Ryzen 1800x, but I read that the memory usage is problematic. One review I saw said that they could not get full speed out of the memory, and had to set it at a lower clock speed, tested on multiple boards, and even at lower speeds there were numerous failures. But the same memory worked fine and at advertised speed, (I think it was 3200) in an Intel rig. I can't find the link right now. I think he was testing it on audio processing.

Also, this thread discusses some comparisons of the 6850k with a Ryzen 1800x. Makes me think that the extra money will be worth it. When I'm recording and processing audio, I need low latency.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Ryzen-1800x-test-quick-revisit-m3577909.aspx

Also, at some point I would consider boosting the memory up to 128Gb. 

The 6850k seems like a good compromise between more cores and faster cores. I'm still not sure whether it wouldn't be better to get a quad core with a faster clock speed.

Sounds good.

Yeah, definitely the AMD Ryzen platform is good, but still has some work in terms of getting all the bugs fixed, which is why I still tread carefully when recommending them for workstation builds. Intel has had quite a bit of time to really mature the X99 platform, so definitely in terms of wide compatibility, that's going to be your best bet despite the significantly higher pricetag. Glad someone has tested it in something you're looking to use specifically. 

As for quad vs hexa core, I'd go with the hexa. You'll definitely see a massive boost in performance when rendering for applications that support multiple threads, which is supported in blender and adobe cc for sure. 

The bug factor in the Ryzens bothers me. I would love for them to be more stable. I guess we'll see how patient I can be. Maybe in a month or two some test results will come out that will swing it the other way.

I appreciate your feedback!

Matt

Yeah, for sure. That's definitely the hope as well. Being a new platform though there's definitely some growing pains. That said, the Cakewalk forum post was posted basically when Ryzen launched and AMD has rolled out numerous updates for Ryzen since then. Things could've changed already. 

Also, may wanna follow the AMD gaming blog. Their community guys do a pretty good job of updating us on new developments in the Ryzen world. 

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming