OleCoot

Need help with DIY router using pfSense

Here is my parts list so far:

CPU: Intel core i3-4160

CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-L9x65  or  Noctua NH-L9i

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A

LOW-PROFILE RAM: G.SKILL Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAB  or Ballistix Tactical BLT2K4G3D1608ET3LXO

SSD: Intel series 530 or 535; 120GB

SSD BRACKET: Sabrent BK-HDDF

CASE: Apex DM-317-A

CASE FAN: Noctua NF-R8-100

PSU: Seasonic SS-300TFX or Seasonic SS-300TGW

DVD-ROM: Asus DVD-E818AAT/BLK/B/GE

NIC: Intel EXPI9402PT

NIC LOW-PROFILE BRACKET: Intel EIG42ET

MISC: 2 port Compact USB VGA KVM #GCS42UW6

I could use some help choosing between the CPU coolers, RAMs, and PSUs. All have mostly good buyer reviews, so I am stuck!

Wow that's going to be quite the powerful router/firewall. Those options you presented are all actually good alternatives to each other. I'd just choose based on pricing.

Is this for a home or business? Are you doing anything else with this system? Reason I ask is because you can get a pre-built system like this for under $300. For home use it should be more than enough and be significantly more power efficient than the Intel Core i3. 

20 hours ago, sam.chen said:

Wow that's going to be quite the powerful router/firewall. Those options you presented are all actually good alternatives to each other. I'd just choose based on pricing.

Is this for a home or business? Are you doing anything else with this system? Reason I ask is because you can get a pre-built system like this for under $300. For home use it should be more than enough and be significantly more power efficient than the Intel Core i3. 

Thanks for the reply. This is for home. No, nothing else....no snort, servers, etc. I already looked at all the pre-built options like SG-2220, the Atom CPU stuff, and so on. All failed my main requirement....it has to be able to reliably reach gigabit speed. The firewall micro appliance in your link does as well:

"WAN to LAN throughput has been tested up to 890Mbps (megabits per second) with iPerf."

All the options claim about the same, that being it can reach gigabit speed or near to it, but when you dig deeper, it always turns out this is only under ideal conditions. Consistency and reliability are not included. My custom build is overkill, but I have found that too much always beats too little. If this build cannot reliably attain gigabit speed (or very near to it), then I will concede defeat.

Ahhh OK. Well, 890Mbps isn't that bad actually. With overhead, Gigabit LAN will already drops to about 940Mbps. That said, your system doesn't cost all that much more than an Atom or Celeron based one and it does give you future capability for adding more functionality down the road. The only cost is higher electricity usage. 

That did get me looking a bit though and I did find this HP ProLiant which is fairly cheap. Add in a Intel Dual NIC and maybe a SSD you're good to go for ~$300 total. I like the server boards since they usually have remote management. If not remote video, there usually is remote reboot, sensor monitoring, etc. As long as you've got clearance in the area where you're looking to place the server, it could be an easier solution. Just a thought. 

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, sam.chen said:

Ahhh OK. Well, 890Mbps isn't that bad actually. With overhead, Gigabit LAN will already drops to about 940Mbps. That said, your system doesn't cost all that much more than an Atom or Celeron based one and it does give you future capability for adding more functionality down the road. The only cost is higher electricity usage. 

That did get me looking a bit though and I did find this HP ProLiant which is fairly cheap. Add in a Intel Dual NIC and maybe a SSD you're good to go for ~$300 total. I like the server boards since they usually have remote management. If not remote video, there usually is remote reboot, sensor monitoring, etc. As long as you've got clearance in the area where you're looking to place the server, it could be an easier solution. Just a thought. 

890 Mbps is not bad, but 940 Mbps is better. That said, I could live with 890 Mbps if it was consistently 890 Mbps. Nearly always, whenever the blurb on some item says "up to 890 Mbps" the disclaimer is "up to" ,and basically means you may get that on a good day, but don't count on it. The problem with the HP ProLiant is the size. Already have a space-hog (Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper) for my PC. Having another for my router is too much. My goal was to have a DIY router near the size of a brand-name one. The one I'm doing is about twice the size of a store bought one, so I failed with that, but the size is tolerable.

Yeah, I hear ya. Aside from the bandwidth, something a bit more powerful gives you some options for other things as well like a IPS as well as an upgrade path. I figured size would be an issue with the ProLiant as well. 

Any reason why you went with a mATX platform case/mobo? Figure mITX would probably save you some space over mATX if you're looking for something small. You could get something like a Silverstone ML05B for pretty cheap. Toss in a mITX board. Still have room for a PCIe NIC or you could invest in a board with multiple Ethernet ports like the Gigabyte H97N mITX