Sign in to follow this  
Centrixon

USB 3.0 Driver Issues for MSI Laptop Windows 7?

Hi, I have a question on the USB 3.0 driver for the MSI GS40 6QE laptop that you reviewed on your site. Not sure if this is an issue you experienced, but I recently downgraded to Windows 7 because I needed an older version of Internet Explorer for work, but I'm having some issues with the USB 3.0 driver. The USB 3.0 driver on the MSI website doesn't work right. I'm getting a lot of disconnects for some reason, not sure if that's a driver issue or a laptop issue. I'd really like to be able to use my laptop for work, but if not I'll probably have to bring it back to Windows 10. If you have any ideas, I appreciate it! TIA!

I just took a look at the MSI website and it seems like they're listing an older Windows 7 USB 3.0 Driver compared to the driver listed on Intel's website. Have you had a chance to try the Intel USB 3.0 Driver? The one on their site was last updated 8/1/2016. It should solve your issues. 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/65855/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver

If you're already using the updated USB 3.0 driver, it could also be power management turning off your USB port. To fix that, go to Device Manager --> Double click USB Mass Storage Device under Universal Serial Bus controllers --> Go to Power Management --> Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". You might have quite a few so go ahead and uncheck them all. Then restart your computer and see if you're still having issues.