Sign in to follow this  
Masael255

Antlion Audio ModMic Mini Review

Hello all! First time posting onto this forum but I hope this is a helpful mini-review for you all. I'm going to be reviewing the relatively new product, the Antlion Audio ModMic Microphone by GTDevice. This is, perhaps, the ultimate device for gamers who would prefer to use a high quality set headphones while gaming but still need a high quality microphone for voice communication. The ModMic is a simple boom microphone that attaches via an adhesive onto a user's headphones (or any other device, for that matter) and allows any set of headphones to be converted into a headset. While the base of the microphone is attached via an adhesive, the microphone itself attaches to the base via a magnet, allowing for one to easily remove the microphone when not needed. [ATTACH=CONFIG]39[/ATTACH] While ease of use and functionality are great selling points for this product, they would mean nothing if the microphone itself was of low quality. Fortunately, the microphone doesn't fall short and greatly exceeds expectations. The microphone seems comparable to higher end microphones like the Blue Yeti or Snowball microphone which exceed price points of $100. The only major complaint I have had with the microphone is that it tends to be a tad sensitive and often picks up audio from outside and around my room. This is easily fixed, however, with any decent sound card's microphone noise reducing technology. In short, this microphone is great and I highly recommend it for anybody more interested in picking up or those who already have a good set of audiophile headphones and don't want to go the headset route. Plus, best of all, the ModMic is only $40. Couple with my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros, this makes my gaming experience complete. I hope to do a video review of this product and will attach on here sometime in the near future. You can purchase the ModMic from the manufacturer directly at: AntLion Audio ModMic | The Attachable Boom Microphone For Headsets Official Look at the microphone:

Sam, I haven't tried to remove it from my headphones yet but I'm sure if it did leave any residue, some goo-gone would do wonders at removing it. Fortunately, I use closed back headphones so cleaning the plastic exterior isn't much of an issue. I'm sure that somebody with open backed headphones may be more careful about the location of the microphone. I'm gonna work on making the video review here and I'll post it up soon. :)

Sam, I haven't tried to remove it from my headphones yet but I'm sure if it did leave any residue, some goo-gone would do wonders at removing it. Fortunately, I use closed back headphones so cleaning the plastic exterior isn't much of an issue. I'm sure that somebody with open backed headphones may be more careful about the location of the microphone. I'm gonna work on making the video review here and I'll post it up soon. :)
Looking forward to it. I'm actually planning on picking up a pair of DT880's sometime soon, so this actually looks like it'd work perfectly with that. Speaking of open back headphones, I wonder if this'll change the acoustic properties of one since you'd be blocking some noise from exiting the headphone with the base.

It is possible and with the DT880s being slightly open backed, it's something that you might want to think about when placing the adhesive base. You might have to get a little creative with the placement of the mic but as the boom is extremely flexible, I'm sure it won't be a problem. I'm glad I posted this mini-review when I did as I hope it helps you make the final steps in purchasing those phones. I love my DT770s to metaphorical death! :D

Here's the mini video review. :) 4vfnilk7r2g
Fantastic review man! You definitely covered all the points on the mic. Heard you speaking about the audio quality... is it really that good? In that case, I might actually wanna pick one up to hook into my DSLR. I've got an AT2020 desktop mic, but it's kinda tethered to the desk. It'd be nice to have something like this for on the go video.

The quality is absolutely amazing. Here's a great video so you can hear the overall quality comparison to other microphones. Glad you liked the review. :)
Yeah, came across that video yesterday. Definitely picking up one of those. Thanks bro!