Ramez Dous

Ubuntu Database and File Processing Server Build

Hello,

I'm building a server for a small charity organization. The server will work about 16 hours/day. It uses Ubunti 14 server.
Odoo 9, Postures 9.4, Python 2.7 are the main services will be installed in the server. The server should just connected to few terminals, not a huge network, just 10~20 computers. I need about 60 GB SSD.

Here is the build, please give  me you opinions. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vZnyHN

Thank you.

Server Built.jpg

Hmm.... On this one, I'd go ahead and verify if the X99A Gaming will work with the Xeon E5. The board is designed for gaming, so you might need a i7 instead. Rather, why not just go with a Z170/i5-6600 combo instead? It'll come out cheaper and you get integrated video. For a server serving just 10-20 users, it'll should be fine. 

Otherwise, it looks good. I'd probably switch out the SSD to something like a Samsung 850 PRO or Samsung 850 EVO, but otherwise I don't see any issues. You'll also need a case, but I assume you already have one. 

@sam.chen

Thanks for you reply. I changed the build into this " https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XxDhvV "

St Server2.png

Please have a look and tell me what do you think.

I choose the Xeon E5 instead of the I7 because of the cores number. More cores give the file processing and database server better performance than processors with high frequency. Or at least that's what I think.

Yes, the additional cores will provide better performance but only if it's facing a constant CPU intensive workloads. If you're planning on just serving about 20 people for a ERP application, it shouldn't require that much in terms of processing resources. At least not the type of resources that a 10-core Xeon would bring to the table, especially if you optimize your database and utilize caching properly. You could save a LOT of money here. 

Since you're planning to spend this type of money, have you considered a proper server rather than putting together something on your own with a combination of enterprise grade and consumer grade hardware? Something like this Lenovo ThinkServer RD350 I think would be perfect for your application. With these types of servers you get dual CPU support so you can always drop in another CPU if a single one isn't enough and you also get redundant power supplies, redundant ethernet ports, built in RAID support, ECC memory support, etc. Here, we run a Lenovo ThinkServer RD540 with only a single Xeon E5-2609v2 quad core processor and it's been running very well with zero failures since early last year. Just a thought...

@sam.chen

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately the budget can't go that high. I will buy a used Xeon processor so it wont coast much. Processors are small in size and weight so it shouldn't be coasting much to ship it from US or EU to Africa. Unlike the Lenovo Server, It will coast more to buy and it will coast much more to ship to Africa.

Have a look at the build I posted in my previous comment and tell me what do you think.
Thanks again! 

Oh OK. Well, I would probably check with ASUS to ensure that motherboard will support the Xeon E5. Otherwise the build looks OK. You might want to pick up 2 more DIMMs for the memory as those CPUs feature quad channel memory, but you probably won't need it. I also recommend a different SSD like a Samsung 850 EVO or PRO, maybe run it in RAID 1 to ensure data integrity. 

No problem. For the memory, 4 will allow the system to take advantage of the quad channel memory architecture. It shouldn't make a difference in terms of real world performance in your application, but for highly memory intensive tasks, it may be beneficial to go with 4 DIMMs.