Sign in to follow this  
LemusHD

Camtasia or Fraps?

Whats the difference and which one is best to record Games and just your screen?
Camtasia is just a screen recorder for like screen casts and tutorials for programs and such. For example, a tutorial on Sony Vegas or something. FRAPS is an actual game recorder. It only records games and not your desktop. So FRAPS is the best for recording games. If you try to record games with Camtasia it will not turn out well at all since it wasn't made for that type of recording. I use FRAPS myself for CoD4 videos and such. I hope this helped.

Camtasia is just a screen recorder for like screen casts and tutorials for programs and such. For example' date=' a tutorial on Sony Vegas or something. FRAPS is an actual game recorder. It only records games and not your desktop. So FRAPS is the best for recording games. If you try to record games with Camtasia it will not turn out well at all since it wasn't made for that type of recording. I use FRAPS myself for CoD4 videos and such. I hope this helped.[/quote'] You can also use fraps to record your screen and other things you do. You can turn on window mode to record whatever window you want.

I typically use fraps to record gameplay and camtasia for screen recording. I find that camtasia has some pretty neat features for screen recording like using your webcam in a corner or zooming into areas where your pointer is at.

How about those external video recorders (Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD) that plug into your PCI-e slots? Are there any advantages to them? Do you still lag when recording?
I've never used one but I mean why spend so much money on that when you can get something like Camtasia with so many features? The external ones are better for T.V.'s and consoles.

How about those external video recorders (Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD) that plug into your PCI-e slots? Are there any advantages to them? Do you still lag when recording?
Wait... are you trying to record PC game footage or your Xbox 360/PS3? I think those PCIe/USB recorders are for more for console game recording. The good ones are designed to have onboard processors and stuff so yeah you're not supposed to lag when you record. Obviously you should have a fairly decent PC with some fast hard drives. You can use it for PC games I suppose, but it's much cheaper to go with something like Fraps. Wonder if it'll work if you take the HDMI out on your graphics card and shove it into the Blackmagic then have another HDMI out going to the screen. That'd be an interesting way of recording stuff on the same PC with the least hit possible to framerates.

If you are still looking for a good screen recorder, believe it or not MSI Afterburner (yup thats right, the wonderful GPU oc tool) has a FANTASTIC recorder. I am able to record my battlefield 3 gameplay without any impact to FPS. I set it to mjpg compression @ 100% (will do the least compression) and frame size to 1280x720 @ 30fps. I set it to use 8 threads (because i hav an i7, set it to the number of threads ur cpu has) and capture away! I should mention I play bf3 @ 2048x1152 on all high settings except medium post AA (no standard AA) using a HD5870

camtasia if you are going fir tutorials and such and fraps of course for games if you are looking for free alternatives of fraps check out msi afterburner it is an overclocking utility for gpu but can be used to record games

Lul this is a weird question. I use both. Fraps for games and Camtasia for screen recording and the rendering. You could also look into Bandicam. It works almost exactly like fraps does.

I use FRAPS for in game recording as well, only problem is you have to register the program in order to remove the watermark and the 30 second recording cap. I also use the FPS monitor for real time benchmarking, a very nice little feature of the program.