Sign in to follow this  
JonD7

OS transfer from HDD to SSD??

Hello all. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question... But is it possible to transfer an OS from an HDD to an SSD? or am I better off buying a new version of Windows 7?... also if I buy one, how much PC's are we allowed to use them on? Thinking about getting a Kingston HyperX 240GB(unless you guys have a recommendation for a better SSD?)

Hello all. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question... But is it possible to transfer an OS from an HDD to an SSD? or am I better off buying a new version of Windows 7?... also if I buy one, how much PC's are we allowed to use them on? Thinking about getting a Kingston HyperX 240GB(unless you guys have a recommendation for a better SSD?)
Will you be getting the Hyper X Upgrade Kit? If so, it includes Acronis migration software which is pretty good and easy to use.

*face palm* I had no idea it came with the Acronis Migration software... guess I'll be buying one of these for sure then' date=' sorry Sam, hahaha I feel like such a ditz now.[/quote'] NP dude. Glad I could help :). Also, I totally forgot to post this earlier, but I recommend getting the Crucial m4 256GB instead. It also comes with easy to use disk cloning software, and it costs a whole bunch less. Performance in the real world will be similar, but I think the Hyper X will be a tad bit faster (although I haven't personally tested it). You do get an extra 16GB of storage with the m4 though because there's no SF overprovisioning.

Not sure if this is relevant to your situation, but if you're changing motherboards too, you want to make sure your copy of Windows 7 is a full version and not an OEM. The OEM attaches itself to the motherboard and will not allow you to transfer to another motherboard. I know this from face-palming experience last year. @[email protected]

Not sure if this is relevant to your situation' date=' but if you're changing motherboards too, you want to make sure your copy of Windows 7 is a full version and not an OEM. The OEM attaches itself to the motherboard and will not allow you to transfer to another motherboard. I know this from face-palming experience last year. @[email protected][/quote'] Ah f***!... I was going to buy an OEM and use it on a new SSD, then switch the motherboard next year... so much for that. :\

Aaah, very glad I pitched in, then. I know of no way around this (even Acronis software didn't work for me about a year ago). You might want to buy an upgrade if you have some version of windows installed as those are transferable between hardware configurations. You might want to do some research to see if Microsoft changed their licensing but, last I checked, the OEM version attached itself like an irremovable parasite. X_X

Thanks man' date=' I may hold off until next year when I buy a new CPU/motherboard.[/quote'] Win 8 should be out by then as well which looks pretty amazing from the Consumer Preview. I am holding out for an SSD for after Win 8's launch. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I've bought the system builder OEM copies of Windows and swapped out parts (including motherboards) without issue before. Somewhat related since it's Microsoft was well...I'm eligible for a $10 version of Office through work, but it's limited to 3 installs. After, my 3rd install I just used their email support and said I regularly upgraded my system and they reset the counter for me.

I've bought the system builder OEM copies of Windows and swapped out parts (including motherboards) without issue before. Somewhat related since it's Microsoft was well...I'm eligible for a $10 version of Office through work' date=' but it's limited to 3 installs. After, my 3rd install I just used their email support and said I regularly upgraded my system and they reset the counter for me.[/quote'] Really? Was this windows 7? I had no such luck when I swapped hardware. I got the "unable to activate" error and MS support told me it was because it was an OEM. Glad it worked for you, though! Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Really? Was this windows 7? I had no such luck when I swapped hardware. I got the "unable to activate" error and MS support told me it was because it was an OEM. Glad it worked for you, though! Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
you can call them and tell them you had to replace your MB or HD and needed a reactivation I always buy OEM windows never a issue

Will you be getting the Hyper X Upgrade Kit? If so' date=' it includes Acronis migration software which is pretty good and easy to use.[/quote'] Hello again, was just wandering. Since I have an OS on a HD already and am gunna use the SSD w/SRT. Would you suggest migrating the OS onto the SSD or just stick w/using SRT?? maybe transfer OS and get another SSD and Raid 0 for performance..obviously would be better :).....and now I'm FacePalming lol...Well, I have an OEM version...and sold my mobo..read in the thread that the OS attaches itself to it...did I Make a Goof..or do I just call Microsoft and just tell what I did?....sry man new at all this learning/school as I go...new found hobby w/lots of questions and info to learn...Thanx for all your help