Sign in to follow this  
FluffyBoy32

On The Hunt For A Laptop For College

Last time I was on here, I was in the process of building my first PC and shortly after I dropped off the radar due to my senior year being my busiest yet. With all that said, I'm back and it's time for me to pick up a computer for college and I need some guidance as to what I should be on the lookout for. It's been YEARS since I was in the laptop market and since then SSD's, touch screens, etc have become the new thing. If someone could get me back up to snuff, that'd be great. Here's the plan: I'm an Industrial Design major so I have the option of Mac or PC. Due to my budget and the fact that I feel more comfortable diagnosing problems and working on a PC, I'm going to stick to a PC for this one. I am, however, taking my desktop with me. Desktop will stay in the apartment for when I'm there working on papers and studying and the laptop will be for when I'm away, taking notes in class, etc. As far as specs, I'm thinking an i5, 8gb of ram or so, SSD for fast boot and document retrieval, something with crazy battery life (I'm sure it's gotten better since the last time I was in the market for one), and keep the weight fairly light. I've had Dell's my whole life but I'm sure someone will have better insight as to who is the superior manufacture when it comes to the PC world. I also had the idea in mind to do a clean install of windows once I get it so it will remove all the junk some manufactures tend to load on there. Good idea or no? Thanks in advance for all the help!

Anyone? Still looking... I'm thinking about going with ASUS. I just realized that I never posted a price point. I'm looking around the $500 range and I'm also considering getting one and buying the SSD and installing myself seeing as most laptops with them are 1K+

Hmm... I'm not too in tune with laptops around the $500 range, but ASUS would probably be a good bet. So would Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc since those big box guys tend to price lower because they produce so many. Are you planning on doing some design on it or is it mostly for taking notes, general web browsing, etc? Reason I ask is because generally laptops around the $500 range are pretty bad in terms of performance, so if you're planning on doing some design work, I'd probably look into laptops around the $800+ range.

I was kind of in a hurry when I originally posted this but after further research I took my time before purchasing (which I was go to do tonight but I'm still looking at some things). After much discussion on another forum, I came to the Acer Aspire E5-571-37SY that I'm planning to swap a 256GB SSD into and possibly max out the RAM on (capable of 16GB but I'm not sure if I want push that high). Decided to go with an i3 simply because of the better battery life and the fact that all I'm using it for is papers, notes, Netflix, just standard college stuff. If I need more power I'll go to my room where I'll have my desktop for the more intense projects (which I need to look into overhauling that out t some point, possibly). I think I was looking at the Crucial MX100 SSD for the swap, any other alterntives? Also, what kind of RAM sticks should I be looking at for the limited space I have to play with inside a laptop? Thanks in advance for the help and my apologizes for the LATE reply.

Scratch the 16GB of RAM idea, that puts me out of my budget (unless I can find 16GB of RAM on the low). Since there is already 4GB in one slot, I'll pick up another 4GB and live with 8GB of RAM (which isn't too bad). Good idea? Also looked around at SSD prices and the Crucial MX100 seems to be the cheapest without sacrificing quality. Main question I have now, what ram should I go with for the other 4GB stick...?

That works. The Crucial MX100 is an excellent choice. Just make sure the HDD in there is a 2.5" drive. As for RAM, Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, Samsung, etc. would all be my picks. Do you know what RAM came with the system? It'd be best if you matched the pairs so that they have the same frequency and CAS latency.