Sign in to follow this  
Carson Chang

The Future of the Forums

SAM! I know the forum is very inactive, you should try to promote it. I don't know how or even if you want to, but I really liked this forum back when it was 'active'. So please man, if there's anything you can do, or that anyone else can do, do it or let me know because I don't wanna see this forum die out.

Yeah, I know. It's been slow on the forums lately. I've been pretty focused on the main site and my work, so I haven't been doing as much as I should on the forums. Got any ideas for a promotion? I'm all ears. If you can help out, maybe I can try to get in contact with some sponsors or something for prizes for active forum participants.

Guest geforce_ftw

Hey guys, I just saw this thread and I joined the forums. I'll try to contribute a little bit and ask my friends to join to help get more involvement in the forums. For ideas on growing: 1. Maybe start a weekly giveaway? (Not trying to get free stuff or anything... but it would be nice, heh) 2. Article contest? 3. Most active user contest? Just some thoughts. :)

Giveaways are difficult without sponsors. I really don't know how to promote it. I remember back when i joined it was because of a giveaway, but barely anyone actually stayed around after that. Hmm. The prizes for active forum participants sounds promising but the question is how many people will stay after the giveaway. Thanks for joining geforce.

Those are all great suggestions! I'd love to contact some sponsors to see if we can get something going. I'll start doing a bit more promotion on social media as well. I agree, giveaways seem to only attract short term attention and people generally post less than valuable posts just to hit the minimum posting requirements to qualify for whatever giveaway I'm doing. Then again, we do get some guys like @PenGaBear who stick around which is great. Maybe I can run a contest every month for all the active forum guys? Dunno. Could use some suggestions there on how to do that. As for the Minecraft servers, I'm not quite sure how we could use them to jumpstart forum users. If any of you have any ideas I'm all ears. I appreciate the offer, @Elusion. I think the key though is just for all of us to put daily activity into the forum and put enough content up for more lurkers to join in. We had a good thing going before, but some of the key guys stopped posting and pretty much everyone went silent.

Guest geforce_ftw

Yeah, giveaways are just a thought. I'm a frequenter on a couple forums, but I've never had to build one up so I don't know. I can help out with content. I browse a lot of tech sites, so I'd be happy to post something up a couple times a day for discussion. Cheers!

@geforce Sounds good. Looking forward to additional content. Feel free to post any questions as well. I'll do what I can to answer them, haha. @Elusion Sure. Post for host sounds good. How should we start one?
For a post for host system you can use The Hosting Tool. http://thehostingtool.com/ It is what i used when doing web hosting for free user. There is a new on the forums, its made by one of my friends has loads of updates in it.

Oh, nice. That's for webhosting. I'll have my guy check it out. It's not something I'm 100% sure I can do from my standpoint since I don't wanna accidentally break the server doing something I shouldn't, haha. I just write articles and test hardware. :) If you guys have any other ideas, I'm 100% open for suggestions.

Just let me know, I can host the system on one of the servers i have so you can poke around with it. How i was useing it before was just to watch user post count. If they did not post the amount needed there service(s) would be shut off.. So say we were doing Mumble and minecraft gifts. If said user wants just one of them they have to have say 40 post a month, If the user wants both they would have to have 80 post a month. The more thats offered the higher the post count, Can always do things like 2 gifts for the low low post count of 60 a month or some crap lol.

I think the key though is just for all of us to put daily activity into the forum and put enough content up for more lurkers to join in. We had a good thing going before' date=' but some of the key guys stopped posting and pretty much everyone went silent. [/quote']This. I really wish the forum was as active as it was when people like Vanhodid, Sketchmode, etc. posted here. This was a forum I would always look forward to. And then people stopped posting and the forums essentially became the ghost town we are currently viewing today. Sam you should convince your co-workers to join the forums. Give the community some small teasers on whatever you guys are working on. Give us some exclusive forum content. Post videos that aren't just overviews. I think part of the problem are the videos you guys have been posting recently. Aside from the CES content, there hasn't been a video that isn't an unboxing + review in months. Give us some guides or news or something that isn't an overview + review. There isn't really anything interesting you guys are doing to give us something to talk about, aside from the CES content. There isn't a problem with your overview + review videos, it's just that the majority of your videos are overview + review.

Just let me know' date=' I can host the system on one of the servers i have so you can poke around with it. How i was useing it before was just to watch user post count. If they did not post the amount needed there service(s) would be shut off.. So say we were doing Mumble and minecraft gifts. If said user wants just one of them they have to have say 40 post a month, If the user wants both they would have to have 80 post a month. The more thats offered the higher the post count, Can always do things like 2 gifts for the low low post count of 60 a month or some crap lol. [/quote'] Yeah for sure that sounds good. We'll probably need a plan to implement, but maybe send me a PM and we can discuss? Yeah, it was definitely a lot more active in the old days when everything just started. I liked that. Not sure why it all dropped off, but glad you stuck around. I'm definitely putting more work into content here on the forums to get some discussions started and I'll definitely be giving you guys sneak peeks at some of the stuff I'm working on. Just got a MSI R9 290 Gaming Card in-house I'm sure some of you guys would like to see, :) Sorry about the YT channel being so same old same old lately. It's been hard juggling all the reviews, the level of work I put into the review, videos and my outside work. Now I know why video guys stick to video and the writers stick to writing. It's hard to do both on your own. I definitely need some help, so if any of you guys are interested in writing, I'm hiring. You'll be compensated for your time with what I can, but I'm not CNN or MSNBC or anything, haha. I'd also be grateful for any content tips as well. Maybe post it on the forums and I'll write up something for the main site. I do have plans for a weekly talkshow or something for the YT channel especially with the size it is now. Not sure if that's something of interest to you guys. Hopefully that'll give us all something to talk about. It's a work in progress, but hopefully it'll start coming out in the next couple months. Anyway thanks for the feedback. Definitely open to any other suggestions and looking forward to seeing you more often on the forums!

Yeah I'm sure we can all understand how hard it is for you to manage the whole site, with your YouTube channel, etc. You should upload some kind of promotional video that's shows CPRC is hiring. I'm sure you'll get a few applicants from your YT audience. Try encouraging your audience to take part in the Guest Posting feature as well. I like the idea of a talkshow, it could be another way to interact with your audience which is always a good thing. Here's a suggestion for the talkshow: Set up a questions thread for a Q&A segment of the talkshow on the forums. Hopefully it'll bring some traffic and life into these forums again. Anyway I'm really excited for the future of CPRC and I look forward to posting on these forums again!

Yeah I'm sure we can all understand how hard it is for you to manage the whole site, with your YouTube channel, etc. You should upload some kind of promotional video that's shows CPRC is hiring. I'm sure you'll get a few applicants from your YT audience. Try encouraging your audience to take part in the Guest Posting feature as well. I like the idea of a talkshow, it could be another way to interact with your audience which is always a good thing. Here's a suggestion for the talkshow: Set up a questions thread for a Q&A segment of the talkshow on the forums. Hopefully it'll bring some traffic and life into these forums again. Anyway I'm really excited for the future of CPRC and I look forward to posting on these forums again!
Sounds good, yeah I'll be doing that as soon as I get some reviews squared away on my end. I've got 4 reviews backed up, but for sure there'll be a bit more focus on the YouTube channel. I found a couple guys interested in doing the talkshow so hopefully I can get a studio setup in one of the rooms I have.