Sign in to follow this  
Tegmo3D

1st Time Builder - Building 3D Workstation

Hi all, Will be building my first PC. It is a pretty sweet 3D Workstation. Big thanks to Sam of Custom PC Review for helping me come up with the best possible rig for my budget. [ATTACH=CONFIG]7[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8[/ATTACH] I have always wanted an awesome workstation but buying it from some of the big named companies it would have cost me a small fortune. I believe this rig will give those rigs a run for their money! CPU Intel Core i7-3960X 3.3 1 LGA 2011 Processor Motherboard MSI Intel X79 ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 2011 ATX Motherboard X79A-GD65 (8D) Memory - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Low Profile Graphics NVIDA Quadro 4000 Boot SSD - Crucial m4 128GB Hard Drive - Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200rpm Case - Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Special Edition Graphite Series 600T Mid Tower Power Supply - Corsair AX650 CPU Cooler - PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE 5x?8mm Dual Heat-Pipes Dual 140mm Premium Fans and Quiet CPU Cooler with patented P.A.T.S coating DVD Drive - OEM ASUS DVD Drive Was gonna start tonight but it is 12:39am here, and I want to be wide awake when working on this. Will keep you posted. -Teg

Oh baby that looks good! LOL actually, this rig will demolish all those "big named" rigs. Pictures when it's done! =D As for the fan issue, I think it should fit ok. If not, it's ok if you remove the top fan. Those 2x 140s on the Phanteks PH-TC14PE will move plenty of air.

Build is pretty much complete except I cannot get the pc to turn on from the front panel. It turns on fine from pushing the power button on the motherboard. Any ideas?
Yup you have the positive and negative wire on the front panel conncetor backwards. Flip the connector to the motherboard and you're good to go. If any lights don't work up front, you've got it backwards too.

I am still stumped.. Once I had the LED power light working but still wouldnt turn on machine.. I am using that piece where you plug all the wires into it, then plug that piece into the Mobo, the issue is, I have handled it so much there is no longer any text on it so I have no idea what goes where, lol.. this is killing me.. Any idea where I can find a diagram of this piece?

I am still stumped.. Once I had the LED power light working but still wouldnt turn on machine.. I am using that piece where you plug all the wires into it' date=' then plug that piece into the Mobo, the issue is, I have handled it so much there is no longer any text on it so I have no idea what goes where, lol.. this is killing me.. Any idea where I can find a diagram of this piece?[/quote'] The diagram can be found on the users manual or actually if you can't find that still, it's imprinted directly onto the motherboard.

I just decided not use the M-connector and hooked them up to the mobo individually, that seems to have done the trick! Started the install of Windows Ultimate 64bit. It didn't ask to partition the drive which is odd, but we will see what happens.

I just did not use the M-connector and hooked them up to the mobo individually' date=' that seems to have done the trick![/quote'] Fantastic! How are you liking the speed so far? Tried rendering something off Maya yet?

Hey Sam, Haven't tried any renders yet. Still having some small issues. For some reason it is not recognizing the 1TB drive. I didnt hook it up till after I installed windows because I wanted to make sure the SSD was the boot drive. Bios see's the drive, but for some reason windows does not.

Hey Sam, Haven't tried any renders yet. Still having some small issues. For some reason it is not recognizing the 1TB drive. I didnt hook it up till after I installed windows because I wanted to make sure the SSD was the boot drive. Bios see's the drive, but for some reason windows does not.
Go to Start --> in the search, search for "administrative tools" --> go to "computer management" --> go to "disk management" --> hit "yes" if anything pops up --> right click on your hard drive and click format

Finished! and so far its working beautifully! and quiet, and FAST! will do some benchmarking tomorrow once i get all of my art stuff installed. [ATTACH=CONFIG]11[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14[/ATTACH]

post-126-142450056114_thumb.jpg

post-126-142450056117_thumb.jpg

post-126-14245005612_thumb.jpg

post-126-142450056123_thumb.jpg

Finished! and so far its working beautifully! and quiet, and FAST! will do some benchmarking tomorrow once i get all of my art stuff installed. [ATTACH=CONFIG]11[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14[/ATTACH]
Wow... Ain't gonna lie... that thing looks amazing! Didn't know that Quadro 4000 was single slot. Looks kinda weak through the window compared to some of those gaming cards haha. Looks like the Phanteks fits just fine with the 600T. No removal of top fan necessary. Woot!

This build actually was not that bad. I thought it was gonna be crazy hard to do this. Admittedly I ran into some issues but they were very small. As for the quadro 4k, it is less than an inch thick, which shocked me as well. It runs maya in viewport 2.0 mode like butta, but in regular mode, it runs like total crap which is very odd. So once I get zbrush installed and run it through its paces I will see what to do from there. Not sure I am that impressed with the Quadro yet, I know my ati 8750 did a much better job, just always had driver issues. I may swap it out for the gtx 680, its not a workstation card but hey.. we will see. And the phanteks fit perfectly and the machine with the fan dial turned all the way to the right you still cannot hear it under my desk.. The cpu temp seems to run between 34-36 degrees Celsius. -Teg

This build actually was not that bad. I thought it was gonna be crazy hard to do this. Admittedly I ran into some issues but they were very small. As for the quadro 4k, it is less than an inch thick, which shocked me as well. It runs maya in viewport 2.0 mode like butta, but in regular mode, it runs like total crap which is very odd. So once I get zbrush installed and run it through its paces I will see what to do from there. Not sure I am that impressed with the Quadro yet, I know my ati 8750 did a much better job, just always had driver issues. I may swap it out for the gtx 680, its not a workstation card but hey.. we will see. And the phanteks fit perfectly and the machine with the fan dial turned all the way to the right you still cannot hear it under my desk.. The cpu temp seems to run between 34-36 degrees Celsius. -Teg
Yup. Building computers really isn't that bad. I'd say the most difficult part is picking out the parts. As for the Quadro 4000, it's just an underclocked GTX 570 for 3 times the price of a GTX 570. What you're paying for is that the workstation cards have drivers that are supposed to unlock the ability to move quickly in viewports. The GTX680 will be a giant waste of money unless you play games. Nvidia intentionally leaves all the 3D modeling "enhancements" out of their Geforce drivers.... so they can charge professionals an arm and a leg for the same part. Otherwise professionals would just pick up gaming cards instead. Might as well just pick up a lower end workstation card. Should work fine. 3D modeling is more processor than anything... and you have the fastest haha. Oh that temperature is nice. Sounds like that's the idle temps. How is it under load?

Ok, the issue was the latest drivers, apparently there are complaints about them. I just did a clean uninstall and used the ones that were on the disk. HUGE difference. I am moving in the viewport effortlessly with over 10 million + polys! in regular viewport as well as viewport 2.0! so this card definitely is doing what it is supposed to do. I haven't checked how well cpu does under load yet. Is the OC Genie worth using Sam? Do you recommend it? I would like to OC this rig if I thought it would improve performance.

Ok, the issue was the latest drivers, apparently there are complaints about them. I just did a clean uninstall and used the ones that were on the disk. HUGE difference. I am moving in the viewport effortlessly with over 10 million + polys! in regular viewport as well as viewport 2.0! so this card definitely is doing what it is supposed to do. I haven't checked how well cpu does under load yet. Is the OC Genie worth using Sam? Do you recommend it? I would like to OC this rig if I thought it would improve performance.
Glad you got that resolved. You'd expect if they charged you that much on a graphics card that'd at least make sure the drivers worked right before releasing them lol..... Anyway as for overclocking, you can try OC genie. In my experience it works, but it tends to go a tad overboard on the voltages which means more heat and more energy consumption than what's actually needed if you overclocked manually. I'd show you how to do it, but I don't have the board =/

Sam doesnt everyone have around the same Standard bios? aslong as it's in the advanced you could easily do a tutorial' date=' infact he did one earlier this year, but i think it could be done faster.[/quote'] Well I haven't actually tested out any MSI X79 motherboards, so that's why I'm not sure how to do the overclocking on that and ASRock's BIOS is quite significantly different from MSI's BIOS. I think Terry could use my video on Z68 overclocking and adapt it to X79 though. SB and SB-E overclocking is quite similar.

There is a button on the motherboard that you press called the OC GENIE apparently it is supposed to automatically overclock. I havent tried it yet, this chip was so expensive i dont want to do anything to screw it up.

There is a button on the motherboard that you press called the OC GENIE apparently it is supposed to automatically overclock. I havent tried it yet' date=' this chip was so expensive i dont want to do anything to screw it up.[/quote'] Haha, yeah if you're pretty happy with the performance you're getting, it's fine if you don't overclock the processor. I think running the OC Genie should be fine though. If you do try it, please post up a screenshot of HWmonitor so I can take a look at the voltages it's using. CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting