Sign in to follow this  
SketchMode

Last Year's AMD Build...

This is my build from last year, I decided to go Team Red for this one after years of building Intel/Nvidia systems and this was the result... System Specs: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R AMD Ed. AMD Phenom II 1090T Black Ed. OC'd 4.0GHz ASUS ROG Crosshair IV Formula (2) XFX 6950s 1536 Unlocked Shaders, CrossfireX 16GB G. Skill DDR3 1600 CL 7-7-7-21 1020W Enermax Revolution 85+ PSU (2) WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD 64MB cache (RAID 0) Zalman CNPS 9900MAX CPU Cooler AeroCool Touch-1000 Fan Controller Sony Internal Blu Ray Burner combo MyRig1.jpg I have some pics on one of these thumb drives of this beauty lit up, when I track them down I'll add them... Found some... LitUp2.jpgLitUp.jpg

Whoa! Lookin' good. Hows that Armorsuit PC-50R? Looks like a pretty nice case.
I remember a review I saw once on the PC-P50R the fellow reviewing the case said it best. It's like a Rolls-Royce, it really does nothing different than any other sports car on the market, however everything that has been done is a work of art. Number one its made from solid hand-punched aluminum, which has been anodized. The evenness of the finish is breathtaking as anyone that knows metal and finishes can tell you it is next to impossible to get this precise. Second it is completely tool-less I can remove every component and completely disassemble this beast without lifting a tool. Third, cooling is amazing. With the four case fans (2) 120mm (2) 140mm the internal temperature never tops 30C. CPU maxes at 45C running Prime95 for hours on air [Zalman CNPS 9900MAX]. My GPUs never top 75C, the top card comes close, but that's due to it's intake fan being directly over the linked card. I could honestly go on and on about it, if you like I could do a full review when I get some free time.

Is Lian Li any good? That's a very nice build! When are you planning to replace that PC? It's a bit outdated but I have in mind that it's from last year- but it still destroys my 2006 HP . How about an SSD?
Actually with the new Kepler series cards from Nvidia just coming out a new build is in the budget and just around the corner... This one will be for sale soon to a good home, keep checking the buy/sell/trade section of the forum for a post.

Looks good. How'd you do that window? Just curious haha.
It's actually CNC machined aluminum, the image is silk screened and backed by acrylic glass.
wow' date=' that looks really impressive. makes mine look like crap lolol.[/quote'] Thank you... some of the parts from this build are going to be for sale soon, to help fund my new rig...

I think this rig needs a SSD' date=' a bigger hard drive for storage, and some watercooling and it will be really good for almost all the games. Nice case btw ;)[/quote'] I actually take offense to your post... the ssd is the only rational suggestion you proposed. Need more space than 1280 GB on a gaming rig? And neither GPU reaches more than 65C under full load for hours... so why waste the money? It is "really good for almost all the games," I run BF3 at a constant 100 FPS with V-sync on with my Planar SA2311W...

I think this rig needs a SSD' date=' a bigger hard drive for storage, and some watercooling and it will be really good for almost all the games. Nice case btw ;)[/quote'] I'd say OP's rig is already really good for almost all games. An SSD is nice, but it's not going to help pump out more FPS. Faster load times, sure but that's about it. He's also got dual 640GB drives in Raid 0, so that's good for 1.28TB so I have no idea why you're suggesting an even bigger hard drive. Disk sizes are really up to the individual user. Most gamers I know have trouble filling 500GB. Watercooling would be cool too, but I don't see how that's that relevant for improved gaming performance either.

I think this rig needs a SSD' date=' a bigger hard drive for storage, and some watercooling and it will be really good for almost all the games. Nice case btw ;)[/quote'] SSD is the only thing I would add if anything at all

Woah nice! I have a VERY similar system to that (Only a few minor differences) It serves me pretty well... Although I've been trying to push the CPU to 4.2Ghz, turns out it's quite hard to do :L

Woah nice! I have a VERY similar system to that (Only a few minor differences) It serves me pretty well... Although I've been trying to push the CPU to 4.2Ghz' date=' turns out it's quite hard to do :L[/quote'] indeed, 4.2Ghz will allow me to boot but fails when put under load, as in running prime95:( But for what it's worth it has been a great rig, but with Ivy Bridge and the Kepler Series cards now on the market it is time for a change.

Do you see any bottlenecking from the Phenom II with dual cards? That seems kind of off balance to me. Or am I just crazy?
Your just cazy:D lol. In many ways the Phenom II is a superior proc to the FX-8150 that was meant to replace it. Yes, the FX Bulldozer is a better processor when it comes to multi-threaded applications, but for single threaded applications like most games, with the exception of BF3 the Phenom II is still the clear choice. Here are some benchmark tests to prove it. cineR10.png Cinebench is is a popular 3D rendering benchmark by cinema 4D that test both single and multi-threaded performance. cineR11.png x264 HD benchmark by Graysky 1st pass (lightly threaded) x264.png I play BF3 at Ultra settings with 4X anti-aliasing and 16X anisotropic filtering and pull down a constant 100 frames per second using my Planar SA2311W 120Hz monitor. Mind you both of my GPUs are heavily overclocked but the CPU is absolutely not causing a bottleneck... The only issue is AMD is no longer producing this processor so finding one may be a problem. But it has served me well, but with the Ivy Bridge and Kepler series graphics cards on the market it's time to retire this beauty.

@Sketch I think what @Nooklear is talking about is Phenom vs SB instead of Phenom vs BD since CF setups benefit from having increased CPU perfomrance. Ever tested your CF setup on an Intel based system? Any improvements? (Not that it'd matter since you're at 100FPS already haha) AMD FX-8150 vs. Intel i7-2600k CrossFireX HD 6970 x3 Head-to-Head - Benchmarks - Metro 2033 :: TweakTown USA Edition

@Sketch I think what @Nooklear is talking about is Phenom vs SB instead of Phenom vs BD since CF setups benefit from having increased CPU perfomrance. Ever tested your CF setup on an Intel based system? Any improvements? (Not that it'd matter since you're at 100FPS already haha)
Oh if that's what he was saying then the answer is yes, I see performance gains using Intel procs in 6970 crossfire systems. A few months back now I built a computer for a gentleman that was almost identical to my system specs with the exception of the mobo and CPU. Using an i5-2500K and an ASUS P8P67 DELUXE I saw on average a 20% increase in FPS. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but I remember being jealous.

Yeah' date=' that's what I was getting at, it seems that in your build the processor would be the limiting factor by a decent margin.[/quote'] well 20% give or take dependent on the game isn't a huge margin, also take into consideration that Sandy Bridge was not available when this rig was built...