Sign in to follow this  
Vanhodid

Cyborg R.A.T 9 Gaming Mouse

Hey guys i tought i'd give you a quick overview of the Cyborg R.A.T 9, i've been using this for quite some time, little over 1 year now and its fantastic Now we just moved so i don't have the original box, nor do i have the foam where the extra mouse parts were housed (you know how parents are, thinking everything is rubbish..) Quick specs about this mouse

• Fully adjustable
  • 3 User profiles
  • 4 programable DPI settings
  • Sniper button
  • Wireless with 1 ms response time

So lets take a look, here's the front of the mouse, nice long buttons that arnt too loud but still create that pleasing "click" front-1.jpg here is the front right, this shows of the pinky rest and the aliminium chasis Frontright.jpg next we have the rear left shot of this mouse, showing the aliminuim scroll wheel for macro's and the easy to use weight system the rather pointless "Sniper" button to slow the DPI for better accuracy and the foward and back page (programable) you should also see a little rod with a black cover around it, you use the included tool (the silver rod on the back of the mouse) to ruen this and it moves the whole thumb rest fowards and backwards Backleftshot.jpg This is a shot from the straight left, once again showing the sroll wheel and foward and back pages (the black screw attatches the thumb rest to the adjustment mechanism) leftshot.jpg This is a straight Top side shot showing most of the mouse's features SideShot.jpg This is the bottom of the mouse with nice black glide pads that work extremly well (you can purchase another set from gameshark if you wish to) This is the weight system (sorry for the focus, its hard to focus on 3 things at once) it is simple and easy to use all you do in insert the weights on the rod in the back of the mouse, add a spring so they don't move while in use and add a washer there are a total of 7 6g weights but if you have all 7 you would need to cut the spring down as it is too large. WeightSystem.jpg These are the avaible palm rests, one in smooth, another is smooth and raised while another has a grippy rubber finish palmrests.jpg

The pinky rests are awsome feature, and using the pinky holster one is cool and adds more character to the mouse, they are swapped by the little screw in the top left using the tool on the mouse pinkyrests.jpg this is the barebone mouse with the removable parts taken off, as you can see the palm rest can be adjusted rather largely bareboneandbattery.jpg This is the mouse next to a Apple Ipod 4th Generation Ipod4Gsizecomparison.jpg And last but not least the battery charger with both batteries (the circular cylinder is to hold the weights when not in use) batterychargerandipod.jpg As ive mentioned above this mouse is fully adjustable to fit almost any hand! This includes moving the thumb rest fowards and backwards, in towards the mouse or further away, the palm rest can be swapped out for one of the 2 others included, one is the same as the one standard on the mouse just with a palm height increase to rest in your palms, while the other has a grippy ruberised finish weights can be added into the back to increase the feel of the mouse, 2 pinky rests are provided one acts like a holdster for your pinky if you have had problems with pinky dragging, while the other is like a grippy ruberised finish. 3 Mouse user profiles that can be saved and caried to different computers around so you always have your macro's this is a simple thing to do, just save as and place wherever you want and done, open in on another computer and your macro's are back along with this you can create different files to save 3 different profiles for every game you desire, to change its quick and easy, just right click in the system tray and your profiles should show up there, one click and your ready to rock! 4 programable DPI levels, standard these come at 550 at level 1, 1600 at level 2, 1900 at level 3 and last but not least level 4 coming in at a whopping 5600 DPI , you can set them from anywhere to 100-5600 DPI. Sniper button, What's this for you may ask, good question, it is a button that slows the DPI to a set level when you hold to make those quick reaction and acurate sniper shots. this button can be set at %1 of total current DPI up to %99, to be honest i dont play that many FPS shooters on pc so i have never used it before appart for paint Rechargeble batteries, yes thats righ a 1 Ms mouse with wireless, this is awsome feature, and if thats not good enough it comes with 2 battery packs so while you game you can play knowing when the battery light starts to flash, a quick 4 second battery swap and your off again! the only foreseeable downside to this mouse, is altough it has a great battery life of about 9 hours of constant use, after about a year the battery life has decreased, some say that the company should start making battery packs for this as a seperate purchase, mine are still relativly good, getting 7-8 hours out of them Likes:

• Awsome looks, heaps of people have commented on how weird and cool it looks, and i cant agree more.
  • Fast!, i'm not a mouse expert but as a general user this is a awsome mouse, it has a quick feel to it and very acurate
  • Customizability is outstanding, i have spent numerous hours tweaking to get this mouse just right for me, its very fun (dont know how it does it) and very easy to use with the included tool
  • Nice soft touch rubberised material
  • R.A.T Spares! They have recently launched a section on the website where you can purchase one of the folowing items A full set of Palm Rests A full set of Pinkie Grips for the R.A.T.3, 5 & 7 A full set of Pinkie Grips for the R.A.T.9 (yes, it’s slightly different) A pair of spare batteries for the R.A.T.9 PTFE feet This is awsome as i've read that people are getting dead batteries after around 1.5-2 years mark. good job Cyborg!
Dislikes/Improvements:
  • One of the only dislikes i have is the selectiveness of the mouse surface, it works brilliant on my desk, but was scratching it and removing the varnish, i used a callender, this was rather iffy as the Rat does not like shiny surfaces much, no problem i tought later i used a spoon and went to town on the callender made it matte and it worked, white paper works well too but i think the sweat and dirt eventually ruins it, so i caved bought a Mionix Sargas 360 Gaming Mouse Pad (Link:http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=17651) and ever since then, flawless.

Thanks for reading this review, hope you enjoye'd it! -Santa

is there any DPI adjustability?
4 programable DPI levels, standard these come at 550 at level 1, 1600 at level 2, 1900 at level 3 and last but not least level 4 coming in at a whopping 5600 DPI , you can set them from anywhere to 100-5600 DPI
It was in the review.

Nice review. I have to admitt the mouse is really cool, but I think I would've been ashamed for having it on my desk. I think the world isn't ready yet for so much coolness on one's desk. ;) But it's a good think you bought a decent mousepad as well. Cause having a +€100,- mouse and use it on top of an calender (LOL!? :biggrin:) is like buying a sports car and putting wooden tires under it. Have fun with it!

Nice review. I have to admitt the mouse is really cool, but I think I would've been ashamed for having it on my desk. I think the world isn't ready yet for so much coolness on one's desk. ;) But it's a good think you bought a decent mousepad as well. Cause having a +€100,- mouse and use it on top of an calender (LOL!? :biggrin:) is like buying a sports car and putting wooden tires under it. Have fun with it!
Agreed. To ensure that the mouse base doesn't wear out that quick, just invest in a 15$ mousepad. I'm using the Razer Goliathus along with my RAT 7 and it's working perfectlyyy and not to mention it looks greattttt

the Phillips dual laser sensor is prolly one of the worst ever. well-known and documented problem regarding Z-axis shifting you can use 100% Teflon skatz and they don't wear out such as core padz
I believe this is a preference of the user. I am familiar with the Z-axis shifting but this issue only occurs if your mouse movement requires lots of lifting. Fortunately, for me, I'm not a mouse lifter and always keep the mouse on my mousepad. This means any issues that the twin-laser would have is completely eradicated. Different strokes for different folks, though. :)

Agreed. To ensure that the mouse base doesn't wear out that quick' date=' just invest in a 15$ mousepad. I'm using the Razer Goliathus along with my RAT 7 and it's working perfectlyyy and not to mention it looks greattttt[/quote'] I was looking at all the razer mousepads, just really didn't like all the pattern on them, if they made a plain one, it would be on my desk in a heartbeat.

I was looking at all the razer mousepads' date=' just really didn't like all the pattern on them, if they made a plain one, it would be on my desk in a heartbeat.[/quote'] Yeah the Razer mousepads were a bit too flashy for me as well. I therefor went for a Roccat Taito instead and I am really satisfied about it. It is a clean pad (only a Roccat logo in the bottom right corner) but the size was really the deal sealer. I'm don't have to worry about hitting the edges while working/gaming ever again. If you still think this pattern is too flashy you could also for a SteelSeries Surface QcK. I don't think you will find a cleaner decent mousepad than this one and it they come in different sizes if for example a big pad doesn't fit on your desk.

Yeah the Razer mousepads were a bit too flashy for me as well. I therefor went for a Roccat Taito instead and I am really satisfied about it. It is a clean pad (only a Roccat logo in the bottom right corner) but the size was really the deal sealer. I'm don't have to worry about hitting the edges while working/gaming ever again. If you still think this pattern is too flashy you could also for a SteelSeries Surface QcK. I don't think you will find a cleaner decent mousepad than this one and it they come in different sizes if for example a big pad doesn't fit on your desk.
where i was looking (australian site) they didnt sell to many mouse pads, that roccat one looks nice, i'm happy with my mionix 460, its awsome! i'm always on the edge still just the was i use my pc, but i use the other 3/4 for placing my drink, like a coaster!

I have a couple of questions for you! Is it possible to plug the wire straight in to the mouse the way that Razer wireless mouses work? There is no way I can use a wired mouse, especially one that needs to be changed every day or two. How easy is it to press the forward/back buttons, they look clumsily placed and very thin. How does this "scroll wheel for macros" work? It is a very interesting mouse but it looks like some parts are not well designed.

I have a couple of questions for you! Is it possible to plug the wire straight in to the mouse the way that Razer wireless mouses work? There is no way I can use a wired mouse, especially one that needs to be changed every day or two. How easy is it to press the forward/back buttons, they look clumsily placed and very thin. How does this "scroll wheel for macros" work? It is a very interesting mouse but it looks like some parts are not well designed.
I can offer my insight on the RAT 7, essentially the same mouse without the wireless. Hopefully any RAT 9 user can help you regarding the wired/wireless capabilities. :) The forward and back buttons are very easy to press. While they do look clumsy and flimsy, they are definitely solid and can take a good amount of use. I have never had an issue with them wearing out or feeling even close to that. Regarding the macro scroll wheel, it works as a neutral button which you can assign any macro to. From simple "scroll right" to complicated "hit ctrl + alt + del, wait 5 seconds, hit down 4 times, hit enter, tab 5 times, etc etc". Both the right and lift direction on the wheel are separate commands. I know some people have bound it to replicate the left mouse click and by scrolling it quickly, it allows for rapid clicks to happen in succession. I honestly find I don't use it too often but the few times I have, it has proved helpful. Overall, regarding your concern of design, it's a very solid mouse. It does take some time getting used to and is definitely not a mouse for people who like to lift and move their mouse around (see Z-axis issue with all twin-laser mice). For people who like the customization and don't mind not lifting their mouse, this is definitely a mouse to shoot for. :)

I personally use the Razer Vespula and the thing I really like about it is the wrist wrest which is a very nice cushion IMO. Also its double sided for control or speed' date=' I prefer the control side usually. Its a little pricey but I've had it for a year now and it works extremely well still.[/quote'] I had a Vespula for a while but somehow the speed side got pretty badly scratched and kept screwing up my game (after only 3 months!). I did a little research and it seemed to be common enough of an issue that is dissuaded me from purchasing another.The control side definitely didn't scratch up at all but was a magnet for dust particles in the little grooves that would cause my mouse to jump around. But I think my experience is the exception. It was a great mousepad while I had it, but it was disappointing that it scratched so easily. ;_;